Quantcast
Cast Iron Cookware - Page 16
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Cookware

750°F for twenty minutes will render your cast iron bare. Just be sure to slowly heat it, then let it cool down slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    750°F for twenty minutes will render your cast iron bare. Just be sure to slowly heat it, then let it cool down slowly.
    Oooh...darn good point about speed...should have specifically said to put the pan in BEFORE you light the fire!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I think I am just going to go with oven cleaner.

I do have a question about cooking, I've been trying to make tilapia in my CI or DeBuyer and I'm getting more sticking than I should. Also I'm getting some darker color on the fish, which looks like the seasoning. Is white fish something I should do in a Teflon pan?

If you have hot oil in the pan and move the fish around as you put it in the hot pan is should not get stuck, at least that works for me!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Shinob1 View Post
    Thanks all. I think I'm going to strip it down along with the recently purchased Wagner skillet using the oven cleaner method this weekend. Any recommendations for which oven cleaner to use? Someone on the griswold fb page said a kind in a yellow can. Not sure which brand that would be.
    Soak it in Easy-Off while it's sitting in a trash bag. Wrap the pan tight with the trashbag and let it sit overnight. Will clean off almost anything.

Ok so i'm sure this will prove my complete lack of knowledge on the subject but can someone help me determine the difference between black steel, carbon steel, and cast iron in saute pans? When I was working in my last restaurant we kept referring to our pans as either stainless or cast iron...only thing is I can't seem to find pans like these when I look for cast iron (just find mostly lodge pans which are waaaaay thicker/don't seem to be the same material) and I find tons of references to black steel instead. Is black steel a type of carbon steel and if so is this a frequent option that can be confused (to the undereducated) with cast iron?
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

Cast iron pans in the south have been called "black Iron" pans because they turn black when seasoned. Talking to a few southern collectors of cast iron has also lead me to the understanding that "Black Iron" pans are a higher quality CI pan over cheaper CI pans... Not sure how much stock to place into that but I have noticed a slight color difference between vintage pans and modern CI pans...

Carbon steel pans are thinner than Cast Iron pans and use a milled steel instead of casting to make the pan. Carbon steel pans and stainless pans have similar manufacturing processes.

Stainless pans are the norm for many restraunts and tend to get all burnt up and look black much of the time. Sorry I just avoid paying attention to these pans so I can't give to many details on them lol

Seems to me the best way to tell then would be the thickness of the pan? Also where do I get professional quality cast/black iron pans? The ones we had at the restaurant held 3 rounded rivets (?) supporting a handle that was just a flat metal bar. They were much denser/heavier than the stainless and it wasn't by a little bit.
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    If you have hot oil in the pan and move the fish around as you put it in the hot pan is should not get stuck, at least that works for me!
    x2, that's the way i do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JanusInTheGarden View Post
    Seems to me the best way to tell then would be the thickness of the pan? Also where do I get professional quality cast/black iron pans? The ones we had at the restaurant held 3 rounded rivets (?) supporting a handle that was just a flat metal bar. They were much denser/heavier than the stainless and it wasn't by a little bit.
    Look at DeBuyer, that kinda sounds like what you were using. I have one and love it. DeBuyer is carbon steel which is 99% iron. Once seasoned, they will turn black. They also come with the long handles using rivets.