Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Cookware

Yes, and when using this dry, high heat technique, the pan will be brown (not to be confused with orange); ie: well seasoned. Brown = love in cooking. Caramelization is what it's all about...

One can always drizzle with a little extra virgin when plating....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Ok, just to get that right. You actually use no oil but only salt on all proteins.
    And I guess it works on both normal pans and grill pans, correct?
    Also do you do that only on cast iron or also on iron pan such as the debuyer series?

Edit: does the salt need to be coarse or any would do?

Does anyone have a griswold large logo and small logo or a griswold and Wagner that can tell me if there's a big difference in them to warrant such a big price difference?

I
    [QUOTE=Erilyn75;269500]Does anyone have a griswold large logo and small logo or a griswold and Wagner that can tell me if there's a big difference in them to warrant such a big price difference?[

No performance differences. Only a collectors difference.

I've got my eyeballs on a few large and small logos. Seems the smaller size skillets run pretty much around the same price, give or take $10 unless the large logo is in supreme condition. It's the bigger ones 10, 11 and 12 that there's a huge difference in price. I see a lot of the smaller logo pans and wagners not selling on the bay and I keep reading conflicting info on the internets.

Not just because I'm Canadian, but bar none, the best cast iron I've used/do use was made in Brockville, Ontario. They are called "Smart Pan", are antique, super smooth and have that perfect medium weight. I love them.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

My family is from the Brockville area on my mom's side. I'd love to get my hands on a Brockville pan.

edit: I'd love one of their axe's too, come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    I've got my eyeballs on a few large and small logos. Seems the smaller size skillets run pretty much around the same price, give or take $10 unless the large logo is in supreme condition. It's the bigger ones 10, 11 and 12 that there's a huge difference in price. I see a lot of the smaller logo pans and wagners not selling on the bay and I keep reading conflicting info on the internets.
    i bought my pan from a rabid collector. the man was insane.

he asked me what i wanted the pan for and i told him..."cooking". (seemed like a weird que)..he told me to buy a small logo one. and showed me a griwold #8, $25! i got it. he also sold me an unmarked one. slightly bigger. slick as glass. $20. i got them to be used. they work wonderfully. the unmarked one, he thinks was a mistake griswold.

the large logo pans fetch a better price for sure. with that heat ring thing..even more. so the man said, and said, and said..

My GF found both a small and a super large Wagner skillet at estate sales. The large actually had a matching lid, but she didn't get it because they wanted like an extra $10 for it and she didn't have enough cash. Obviously the prices where far below ebay levels. However, even ebay prices don't seem super outrageous when you think of what it would cost to make a small production run of these today with modern tooling, shipping, and labor costs.

Answer: the better part of $200.
    http://finexusa.com/

I pre ordered one just because this is something that I've wished existed for years and now, even though I have 2 wagners and a forged carbon steel skillet, I can't resist.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    My GF found both a small and a super large Wagner skillet at estate sales. The large actually had a matching lid, but she didn't get it because they wanted like an extra $10 for it and she didn't have enough cash. Obviously the prices where far below ebay levels. However, even ebay prices don't seem super outrageous when you think of what it would cost to make a small production run of these today with modern tooling, shipping, and labor costs.

Answer: the better part of $200.
    http://finexusa.com/

I pre ordered one just because this is something that I've wished existed for years and now, even though I have 2 wagners and a forged carbon steel skillet, I can't resist.
    That looks pretty neat!

Has anybody tried the Turk forged iron pans or Komin? carbon steel cookware has mostly replaced my cast iron fry pans in common usage, and I have a lot of cast iron fry pans, but I think both of these look neat, if for very different reasons. I really like the Turk handle look, and Turk makes lots of other nice looking stuff. The Turk carbon steel pans look similar to Matfer. I'm not sure how pronounced the criss-cross pattern is on these Turk iron pans.