Which Yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dav

Reaction score
Looking for my next purchase up to $400 will be primarily used for slicing of fish, I do like the rustic finish so have included the Takeda and Moritaka are there any standouts at this price point or have I missed anything?

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...n-hide-240mm-blue-1-hon-kasumi-yanagiba.html#

Moritaka 240mm Damascus aogami super steel

Takeda 245mm Aogami super steel kurouchi finish

and finally a Watanabe Professional Yanagiba in Blue Steel.

I believe the Takeda and Moritaka are double-beveled blades despite being called yanagis. They will not perform traditional sashimi slicing tasks as well as a single beveled blade.

The Gesshin Hide knives get great reviews, but I have not seen or used one myself. You might also take a look at Yoshihiro (both the knives that are listed on Japanese Knife Imports and the "hongasumi" series that you can find on ebay).

Many thanks certainly something to consider re; the single bevel, from my limited experience I do like the more rustic finish though will look at all suggestions.

you should call Jon at JKi. i picked up a 270mm Kochi kurouchi yanagiba from him and it's beautiful. i don't see them on his website anymore but maybe he can order you one.

Just ordered the 300mm Gesshin Hide from Jon. Will let you know how it is when it arrives.

Just ordered the 300mm Gesshin Hide from Jon. Will let you know how it is when it arrives.

That's cool bechler and it would be even more cool if you get the blond horn one. And lots of pictures please.

OK I've narrowed it down to the following Yanagiba due to not being able to handle any of these knives I appreciate any views from people who own or have had experience with them;

Kochi 270mm - at JKI Helpful retailer who obviously chooses well.

Watanabe 270mm Professional in White steel, purchaed Deba in same steel - great service lovely product from a maker who from reading reviews makes very fine single beveled knives.

Heiji 300mm Professional Swedish stainless - lovely looking knife from a top maker so from my niave perspective I can't foresee any "problems"

Your list sounds rock solid but remember, whatever you end up deciding on must be documented on this forum with pictures. :cop:

I may well go the 300mm route, being a home cook I'm not too confident with longer knives but can see the benefits of going longer in this knife and I think the longer yanagi look so beautiful. I'll ensure I post a picture when I purchase.

Latest posts

Back