Number 11

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
100_3567.jpg

100_3571.jpg

100_3572.jpg

100_3574.jpg

100_3576.jpg

100_3577.jpg

100_3578.jpg

100_3579.jpg

100_3583.jpg

100_3587.jpg

Sweet. What is it and did it come with a pin? :)

:crazy: That is truly a work of art, we need details as I do not recognize the kanji.

Shiny metal, must attack some fish. You got to fill us in with the details.

That is incredible.Look at how the part of the ura they finished on the stones is mirror polished. :notworthy:

There will be no problem. After Easter will be getting whole tuna.

Its not my style to get things I dont use regularly and intensively.

I love breaking down tuna!!! I go offshore tuna fishing in the summer/fall and I am the guy that gets to cut up all of the tuna. I got a new Deba and we caught 7 YFT that day and a few Mahi! I was in my glory using that Deba!!!

That blade is just awesome!! I really like the contrast of the mirror to the bevel. Very clean!

Dang, I wish I had the skill to use a knife like that! Happy slicing!

Let's see....does one actually use a knife like that? I have 35 or so of those so I just want to know...

Hows the out of the box sharpness on that guy.

Let's see....does one actually use a knife like that? I have 35 or so of those so I just want to know...

I think the biggest letdown you could possibly do to certain knife producer or a knife itself is not to use it hard.

Saying that, I mean I ordered Shigefusa to push it, use it everyday as my first knife[beater? I wont beat it, but I aint buy it to look at it, and I dont think they produced it to be hung on the wall.] and dont care about patina, the blade will be black. I know that, I tested it already :)

eto it is sharp, it would definitely go past carters "three fingering test", but the edge is "grainy", definitely not as smooth as I could get it with my present jnat setup.

Cuts fish, but the cut is not as smoth and shiny when You cut it with very polished sharp edge.

Theory, I was part serious about the using question. I had no intention of being a collector. I have two Suisin Doi's, 300 and 270, number 00, and 65, (though 11 is a good number too) but I hesitate to use the 270 very often because I know I cannot quite duplicate the kasumi finish when it is time to do serious sharpening. I think I need to overcome this because the 270 is the most perfect knife I have ever used and yet it sits on the wall most of the time. The mentality is interesting but your comment and bieniek's comment are helpful -- it's time to use these knives.
s.

You will propably never sell it, then make good use of it! Otherwise youre wasting good blade.
I would never believe that Doi or any other master bladesmith forges his blades for it not to be used.

If it comes to kasumi, you can do it, it just takes patience and time.

I treat it as a way to get to know and appreciate my blades better.

Theory, I was part serious about the using question. I had no intention of being a collector. I have two Suisin Doi's, 300 and 270, number 00, and 65, (though 11 is a good number too) but I hesitate to use the 270 very often because I know I cannot quite duplicate the kasumi finish when it is time to do serious sharpening. I think I need to overcome this because the 270 is the most perfect knife I have ever used and yet it sits on the wall most of the time. The mentality is interesting but your comment and bieniek's comment are helpful -- it's time to use these knives.
s.

I understand your hesitation completely. I know it would take a while before I could duplicate such a finish after using one. but I think that in and of itself would force me to be a better sharpener. Much like how I seem to be better at finishing other people's knives than my own. The extra care and precision I take with other people's things is extraordinary.

If you go in with that utmost respectful mindset, you'll be fine.

Back