Best Gyuto, $300-$400(ish)???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmfreeman35

Reaction score
I just got a nice new sous chef job, so to celebrate I think I'll treat myself to a fancy new knife!

I'm looking for a step up from my currently selection (kono white and Moritaka KS), and have 300-400(ish) to spend. Now, there are a lot of knifes out there in that range so I'm starting to go a little crazy trying to narrow it down to one...watanabe pro, masamoto ks, suisin inox, Tadatsuna, mizuno, kochi, etc. etc..

So, to those of you who have/used any, can you provide some input? Right now, im leaning pretty heavy on the watanabe, but im also pretty curious about the kochi...

Is there anything in particular you want in terms of blade specs? There are lots of knives in that price range.

Suisin honyaki inox, Martell. That's what id get in that price range.

I'd get Jon at JKI to order you a Gengetsu 240mm gyuto...they're currently out of stock.

Let us know a bit about what you like in a knife first - for example, do you want to stick with the thin blades like the Kono and Moritaka, or do you want something a little more substantial? Wa-handle only, or can you go western or wa?

I just got a nice new sous chef job, so to celebrate I think I'll treat myself to a fancy new knife!

There is a very nice Asai in the for sales right now that the owner has dropped in price quite a bit...

I'd grab a Suisin Inox Honyaki if it were me.

Suisin Inox Honyaki 270. I have a KS which is also nice but the Suisin still gets my vote. Stainless, Sharp, f&f, durable. It's a well rounded knife which makes it my work standard.

I also have the Kochi and a Kono white. The Kochi cuts really well, It's insanely thin at the edge, better edge retention, easy to sharpen and despite how thin it is I haven't had any micro chipping...and we have crummy hard plastic boards at work. At $280 I think this knife is a hell of a deal.

Devin Thomas ITK AEB-L 240mm...my favorite workhorse right now!

Generally speaking, I prefer thinner, lighter blades over beefier ones. But I also know that spine thickness isn't te only factor in cutting ability. So if there is a knife with a little more heft to it that still out performs the thinner guysthen I'm all for it. I will say, that I guy I work with has a yoshi that I've played around with a couple of times, and I don't like it at all.

I haven't tried too many knives so I'm fairly open to trying thicker ones if they perform well

Thickness at the spine isn't a huge deal. I currently am using a Carter that is an absolute monster (gotta be 9+ sun) and it's about 3mm at the spine (guessing). The funny thing is, it almost falls through carrots, and even ripe tomatoes. With a light stropping on some, you guessed it, newsprint, it killed the roma tomato à la Salty test. It gets SHARP and is thin where it counts. In this case, the heft helps an already impressive cutter cut.
However, don't count out my boy Pierre's new line that will be coming out in the future. It has a Carter thing going for it, but the overall feel will no doubt be up there with the ITK. The profile is one that will lend itself to push cutting and rocking, with a nice useable tip. I'm not a fanboy, I just know this is going to be one heck of a knife. As Eamon once put it, he's "the Rafiki of grinder monkeys". Hahaha
I will say, if you can squeeze a few extra bucks out, the ITK is great as well (in my limited experience with it). Nice fit and finish an you can't argue with its reputation.
However, I personally would have jumped on Vertigo's Misono Dragon, but it's too late for that.

You say you want a 'step up'...so where do you feel your current knives are lacking?

Reason I say this is because the Suisin IH and Tadatsuna are very close to your Konosuke except they are stainless...so not much variation in feel and cutting ability.

I've also heard some people, such as NoChop!, say that the Moritaka KS is one of the best performing knives they have used...so the knives you listed might not be considered a 'step up' for everyone. Also, I have a 210 Suisin IH petty, but if it was a 270 gyuto, I think I'd prefer my Kono white#2 over it anyways--just my preference.

Now you see that everyone will give you different recommendations based off of what THEY would choose, but you need to drill down and make your own decision. All we can do is add input based on your specifications.

Gratz on the new job. Hope it is what you want from it.

thickness at the spine has very little to do with cutting performance, unless you routinely cut hard and tall foods.

I've been thinking about a Kochi for awhile now.

I am willing to stretch my budget if there is a knife that is worth the price and will give me that "holly poop" moment when I cut with it, as I have been eying a heiji which is in the $500 range.

But if one of the fore mentioned knives will do the trick for less, then id rather get one of those.

Best? I don't know, but my 300mm Ashi from Jki is in that range and it's a damn good knife.

-AJ

If your gonna drop 500 go custom an get all that you want in my opinion.

Heiji would possibly compliment your kono as its a heftier knife.

If I were you I wouldn't get another laser, and I'd get a different style profile.

Possibly the masamotot KS, or the mortitaka if you prefer AS.

If not that I'd say kochi or mizuno.

Oh I love my Heijis and every other Heiji I've handled that hasn't belonged to me.

Maybe check out Rottman as well. I'm playing with one from the passaround and it's a sweet knife. I think you could definitely get a custom from him in that price range and you can check the reviews section here to see what TK59 has had to say about his. The nice thing about the custom would be that you could get what you want in a knife.

What knife are you currently using? and congrats on the sous position.

It depends on what you value in a knife. I used a Gengetsu for a month or so. It is the finest all around cutting machine I have ever used, bar none at any price range. I don't really understand what makes it so nice to cut with but I will stop at nothing to add one of these to my collection. I like it so much I'm afraid to post on it because I'll have more competition trying to acquire one. The drawback might be that it isn't fancy, I'm not a huge fan of the handle but it works, it's stainless clad and the steel is white 2 which is okay or awesome, again depending on what you value. The Kochi is an awesome cutter as well and so is a Rottman custom.

TK-

I have been eyeing the Gengetsu knives. Thanks for the feed back. Is it as thin behind the edge as the Kochi? Looks like it has more of a tip than the Kochis. Did you use a 240 or a 270? Where is the balance point?

Sorry for all the questions. I am also really interested in a Masamoto KS but would possibly hold off for a Gengetsu but it sound like it might be at least a couple months.

Most of the knives in this price range that I am interested in are not in stock! Patience is not a strong suit for me.

Cheers,
rj

I would get a gengetsu if you dont mind waiting for them to come back in stock. TK borrowed my knife and I have to say his comments are spot on. It is a special knife. It is thin behind the edge, not as much as the kochi (which is also and amazing knife, super thin behind the edge.) I use it in a pro kitchen and it holds up on poly boards very well, with just some light touch ups. The fit and finish are great, saya fits perfect (no pin), great profile, good taper, excellent grind. I own or have owned the majority of the knives talked about and they are all great knives but the gengetsu just makes me smile everytime I pick it up. I also think Heiji, Kochi, rottman, Mario are all great knives (including every knife mentioned so far.) I do think the suisin is very similar to the konosuke so I would go for something a little different.

-Chuck

I meant to say it in my first post here. Congrats on the sweet new job!

Back