Quantcast
Help me with info on this knife
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help me with info on this knife

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.

Help me with info on this knife

A few years ago my dad gave me this as an xmas gift. He says it's a Herder and it's German. It's carbon and very reactive. I haven't tried to sharpen it myself because I didn't know if it was worth the time. I found a lot of mixed info on the company online. The blade is 7 inches long and the Herder trademark spade pin is only on one side of the handle. There are no markings on the blade. What kind of steel is it?
    I've seen some places selling Herder blanks for dirt cheap. But not one in this profile/size. Is this a junker?
    [IMG][/IMG]

it's a herter, sharpen and love it, probably 1095. They usually make fairly good knives.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

There is Herder and Herder. This one is made by Friedrich Herder Abr. Sohn in Solingen,

www.herder-solingen.de/

Most German carbons are in the 1075-1095 range, are very pure and sharpen easily. Regards.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    it's a herter, sharpen and love it, probably 1095. They usually make fairly good knives.
    thx, son. u da man. Hit a brother up if you get anything new. I'm down to try my hand at giving something vintage some love.

1623 Jürgen Herder hardens swords during the Thirty Year`s War (1618-1648).
    since 1650 Production of knives, mainly for the dutch market.
    1727 Pic-AsIn order to make Herder-knives unique, "Pic-As" is beeing registered as the oldest trademark in Solingen.
    since 1800 HerderHerder knives are introduced in the Malay Archipelago by the Dutch East India Company

Cool never heard of them.
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    thx, son. u da man. Hit a brother up if you get anything new. I'm down to try my hand at giving something vintage some love.
    sure will, right now i'm tapped out trying to get some things together after the robbery.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+ Reply to Thread