Help me with info on this knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
A few years ago my dad gave me this as an xmas gift. He says it's a Herder and it's German. It's carbon and very reactive. I haven't tried to sharpen it myself because I didn't know if it was worth the time. I found a lot of mixed info on the company online. The blade is 7 inches long and the Herder trademark spade pin is only on one side of the handle. There are no markings on the blade. What kind of steel is it?
I've seen some places selling Herder blanks for dirt cheap. But not one in this profile/size. Is this a junker?
IMG_3808.jpg
[/IMG]

it's a herter, sharpen and love it, probably 1095. They usually make fairly good knives.

it's a herter, sharpen and love it, probably 1095. They usually make fairly good knives.
thx, son. u da man. Hit a brother up if you get anything new. I'm down to try my hand at giving something vintage some love.

1623 Jürgen Herder hardens swords during the Thirty Year`s War (1618-1648).
since 1650 Production of knives, mainly for the dutch market.
1727 Pic-AsIn order to make Herder-knives unique, "Pic-As" is beeing registered as the oldest trademark in Solingen.
since 1800 HerderHerder knives are introduced in the Malay Archipelago by the Dutch East India Company

Cool never heard of them.

thx, son. u da man. Hit a brother up if you get anything new. I'm down to try my hand at giving something vintage some love.

sure will, right now i'm tapped out trying to get some things together after the robbery.

Back