Quantcast
Any thoughts on a petty? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on a petty?

I always loved these long Tadatsuna petties, they are so elegant. At one point I asked Moritaka to make something similar for me. What I ended up with is a very cool knife that is a mix between a petty and a salmon knife, ultra thin and narrow. I think that means I still need a petty... But I do have a Blazen petty that is a bit shorter, but I really like it for a Western handled small utility knife. A small Carter funayuki also works well as a petty, and you can get them in different styles. And I admit that I sometimes reach for a honesuki when I need something in that size but sturdier, for cutting off a chunk of parmesan etc.

Stefan

Two or so years ago I asked basically the same question, and every other reply seemed to recommend Watanabe. Times change, I guess.

I'm very happy with the Watanabe, but really have no basis for comparison.

Thank you for all your responses everyone. In case it helps, the gyuto that I am getting is a 240mm kasumi Shigefusa wa gyuto. I will look into all the other petty's (petties?) that you guys recommended.

Jim, is yours the Konosuke HD, the regular stainless, or the white #2? I think those are the three options that Jon has, right?

Go with a shigefusa from Marko then

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Thank you for all your responses everyone. In case it helps, the gyuto that I am getting is a 240mm kasumi Shigefusa wa gyuto. I will look into all the other petty's (petties?) that you guys recommended.

Jim, is yours the Konosuke HD, the regular stainless, or the white #2? I think those are the three options that Jon has, right?
    Mine is the white #2

If you are just new to j-knives, a wa-handled light knife might not even be what you are looking for. If you want a 150mm or less petty, then I think the CarboNext is a no-nonsense blade that will get sharp and hold it.

However, if you want a longer petty(like myself) and love wa-handles...you can't go wrong with a 180/210 Tadatsuna/Suisin Inox/Konosuke HD

I can't see myself ever giving this thing up! Here is my 210 petty for a size comparison versus a regular 150mm petty

First off. If it were me knowing what I know now I would buy a Gyuto and a good paring knife. The petty would be my third purchase. Personally, I prefer a petty to be light nimble and thin. I'm not as big a fan of bigger petty's and I'm not talking strictly about length. I have two petty's I adore. One is my 150mm Ichimonji TKC and the other is a 150mm Tadatsuna in White Steel. Both are thin, small in terms of heel to spine ratios and have a superb taper and thin point. The petty's I own and am less fond of are both 150mm knives which are really more like scaled down gyutos are the Hiro AS and my Devin Thomas Petty. These bigger pettys lack the nimble dexterity I want in a petty. The blades are too wide to turn well when making curving cuts IMO. They are'nt bad knives per-se. Particularly when you are looking for a knife to work like a smaller gyuto for some precise simple cuts like say brunoise of garlic etc.

Good Paring Knife? I like my Misono 80mm Swedish Steel knife. I also like the 80mm Dojo knives with the blue steel core. But the Dojo has a hot spot on the back of the handle and you need to round off the pointy edge of the handle with some sandpaper to make it comfortable IMO. Not a big deal and it won't alter the appearance of the knife one iota as long as you don't go crazy. Just round that edge a little with som 400 grit sandpaper and nobody will know it...except you will feel it!

Minamoto Kotetsu 150mm Sandvik 19C27 western handle
    http://japan-blades.com/chef-knives/...etsu/2387.html

Konosuke 150mm stainless wa handle
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-petty.html

Sounds like your budget allows for some nicer stuff, but these are good values if you go that way. Thin, nimble, good edges.

~Tad

I use a petty to debone poulty, but I’m only cutting through the joints, around (not through any) bones, and can have the time to ensure my cuts aren’t misaligned. A honesuki is like a very stout petty. You get the nibleness / maneuverablity of a petty along with a thicker blade that could plow through not quite dead on joint cuts with ease.

One of the most used knives in my kitchen is my 210 mm Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa petty. It's really, really thin. It takes an insane edge and it's hard enough (RC 62 I think) to keep it that way with a few swipes on a loaded strop from time to time. At the other end of the length spectrum, I have a 3" Shun Kramer paring knife. I love this little puppy. You can perform a lot of knife tasks with a long flexible petty and a short stiff paring knife. Of course this may be a little overkill but that's what happens when you get the bug.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

+ Reply to Thread