Quantcast
How can you tell if a knife is perfectly straight?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can you tell if a knife is perfectly straight?

How can you tell if a knife is perfectly straight?

I guess I have two questions. The first would be how difficult is it to mistakenly bend a knife? My roommate rolled off the couch and kind of laid on my knife bag for a bit. From what I can tell everything looks fine. Just curious how one can gauge whether or not the blade of a knife is straight? Also do knife bags do an adequate job of protecting knives?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    What's the knife?
    What's the bag?
    What does your roomie weigh?

You can try looking down the length of the spine, almost as you would if looking down the sight marks of a rifle. If it isn't straight you will see bending in the blade. Knife bags are fine, but if you don't have any kind of blade protector the knives could get bang up a little if there knocking into each other.

Tell your friend be careful when rolling off the couch could help also. good thing the knives were in your bag. That could of been ugly.

Hold the knife edge up with the point facing you and sight down the blade. Any bends or warps will be apparent. To check further, hold the knife horizontally with the edge facing you and look for bends and warps.

If you have something really flat, like a granite reference plate, you can put the blade against it to check.

First you need to get a laser and a set of prisms so that you can triangulate the vertical vectors. You will need a set of granite surface plates that are true to .000002" per thousand meters. And then..............
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

......you gotta not put your damn knives on the floor next to the couch!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.p...=148&Itemid=63

Sorry, I was bored. It is interesting though.

eyeball it yourself and then let someone young with good eyesight do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Hold the knife edge up with the point facing you and sight down the blade. Any bends or warps will be apparent. To check further, hold the knife horizontally with the edge facing you and look for bends and warps.

If you have something really flat, like a granite reference plate, you can put the blade against it to check.
    +1. However, you don't need a super flat reference plate. I use my BoardSMITH as a rough guide. It's pretty damn flat near the edges. If there is a significant bend or twist, the edge will curve toward or away from the surface of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    First you need to get a laser and a set of prisms so that you can triangulate the vertical vectors. You will need a set of granite surface plates that are true to .000002" per thousand meters. And then..............
    lol. Once again, Spike, like a laser shoots through the murk and muck to ensure all things remain obscure. I love your twisted wit man

k.

Edit: as for the OP, I just eyeball it, but if it isn't straight, you will realize it when sharpening the blade.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson