Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carbon Sabatier

thiers issard were my favorite ones. didnt like the nogent handles though. the k sabs handles are made of the plastic POM stuff fyi. not to my liking.

Last time I ordered a carbon knife from K-Sabatier I received something bent beyond usability. The tip of my 7" chef's knife was about half an inch off center and the whole spine was twisted like a snake. A blind man would have seen this and still they send it out to their customers and refuse to pay for return postage.
    On my second order 1 of 2 pocket knives had a dysfunctional liner lock. These guys do have a problem with qc and I do not recommend buying from them.

I have a handful of old Sabatier knives that I used extensively until a couple of years ago. They were given to me in the 80's after they had been in my grandparents kitchen for at least 20 years, maybe more. The carbon knives have black wood handles and the elephant logo. If I understand correctly that indicates they are the 'made in Thiers' version? The stainless knives have no elephant and red nylon handles (or something similar). The place where I had them sharpened didn't know anything about the red handles but didn't think the knives were anything special.

Neal

Were the black wood handles riveted?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Were the black wood handles riveted?
    Yes - three rivets. They look similar to the second knife down in the photo from Buzzard. For what it's worth, the red handles are full tang and rivited as well.

Both series clearly post-WWII. The carbons are sometimes very well made; never seen a good French stainless yet I'm afraid.