From The Land Of Palm Trees & Pythons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzard767

Reaction score
I'm still alive and kicking but it's been awhile since I've been on any knife sites. There are lots of familiar people on this very nice site so I think I'll use it as my main kitchen cutlery reference vehicle. The inventory includes around 20 J knives plus 4 or 5 from US bladesmiths as well as a ton of sharpening equipment but you can never have enough of that stuff, right? :happymug:

Retirement from the airlines has been good to me but I finally got a little bored so I expanded on another of my hobbies, video calibration. I calibrate projectors and flat panel TVs so the owner can see what the director intended instead of the crappy pictures as set up by the factories. I'm one of four THX Certified Level II Video Calibrators in the state of Florida and the only one in Wisconsin where I spend my summers. I work it in around my more important golf and fishing schedules.

Buzz

Welcome!

I calibrate my car radio all the time. I turn the bass on 5, the treble on 7, and fade the speakers partially to the back where they carry more bass. I also listen to "For What It's Worth" on the left channel speaker only so I can hear the crazy guy doing backup. I'm sure that's a lot like what you do.
:spin chair:

Welcome!

I calibrate my car radio all the time. I turn the bass on 5, the treble on 7, and fade the speakers partially to the back where they carry more bass. I also listen to "For What It's Worth" on the left channel speaker only so I can hear the crazy guy doing backup. I'm sure that's a lot like what you do.
:spin chair:

Right on, plus a few thousand in software, a few more in meters, and a few more in study and experience. :lol2:

Sounds like you are living the life. Welcome?

I'm still alive and kicking but it's been awhile since I've been on any knife sites. There are lots of familiar people on this very nice site so I think I'll use it as my main kitchen cutlery reference vehicle. The inventory includes around 20 J knives plus 4 or 5 from US bladesmiths as well as a ton of sharpening equipment but you can never have enough of that stuff, right? :happymug:

Retirement from the airlines has been good to me but I finally got a little bored so I expanded on another of my hobbies, video calibration. I calibrate projectors and flat panel TVs so the owner can see what the director intended instead of the crappy pictures as set up by the factories. I'm one of four THX Certified Level II Video Calibrators in the state of Florida and the only one in Wisconsin where I spend my summers. I work it in around my more important golf and fishing schedules.

Buzz

Nice to see you here Buzz.

For those of you who don't know Buzz, he is a certified knife nut as well as a class "A" sharpener and will fit in well here.

Welcome Buzz.

Hey, bring some more warm weather when you come back to Sconny. We were starting to get spoiled and it is turning into spring again.

Welcome Buzz.

Hey, bring some more warm weather when you come back to Sconny. We were starting to get spoiled and it is turning into spring again.

By the time I leave here around the 3rd week of May it's gonna be 93F and 90% humidy. Are you really sure you want me to drag that up there???? :eek2:

Buzz, your Grand Cheff review was the main reason I purchased mine back then.

I remember kcma having a little man crush on you.

I'm still alive and kicking but it's been awhile since I've been on any knife sites. There are lots of familiar people on this very nice site so I think I'll use it as my main kitchen cutlery reference vehicle. The inventory includes around 20 J knives plus 4 or 5 from US bladesmiths as well as a ton of sharpening equipment but you can never have enough of that stuff, right?

Buzz

And another seven years have passed. WhereTF did the time go? A year and a half ago I completed a multi year project of getting high quality video into the home at an affordable price. I worked with Steve Shaw in London - here's his site and an overview of what we do: https://www.lightillusion.com/

Keeping me off the streets nowadays is administrating a FaceBook group called Old Fighter Pilots. We are 7000 fighter, attack, & recon pilots from 28 countries, the youngest being a year out of military flight school and the oldest a 97 year old WWII P-38 jock.

I still have all my knives and stones but I will probably sell a few after I return to the cold country from Naples in five weeks. I have several great blades that haven't been used in quite some time.

Buzz

Welcome back to the forum. Be smart -- stay down in Florida for a couple more months :D

Unfortunately I only have one more month in Florida. I wish it were three. I have several cameras in and outside my Wisconsin home so I can watch the boys remove the snow. The older I get the less I like winter, and skiing was my main sport when I was a kid.

https://www.wausaudailyherald.com/s...all-time-snow-fall-record-tuesday/2850847002/

Welcome back Buzz, from the land of gum trees and brown snakes.

What planes were you flying?

I was a Marine A-6 Intruder pilot. Once my active duty commitment was complete I flew airliners for thirty years with a few years of KC-130 Hercules Marine Reserve time thrown in.

I was a Marine A-6 Intruder pilot. Once my active duty commitment was complete I flew airliners for thirty years with a few years of KC-130 Hercules Marine Reserve time thrown in.

I assume that marines flew A6s off solid ground rather than carriers?

How did you like the Herky Birds? I've spoken to a few RAAF guys who have quite a bit of affection for them.

Back