Quantcast
camera upgrade- t3i or 60d?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: camera upgrade- t3i or 60d?

Sponsors

camera upgrade- t3i or 60d?

I've decided its time for a new camera and i've been split between the t3i and 60d. I'm leaning towards the 60d, but i thought i'd throw the question out there to see if any of you guys had anything to say on the subject.

My wife, who uses Nikon because it has better skin tones and shutter performance. She said that if you are going to get an upgrade and don't want to upgrade again anytime soon, get the d7000. The ISO is a lot more capable, and if I understand correctly, you do your photos in natural light mostly, which is what she does.

The 60d would be a good choice if you are one a budget that won't fit the d7000, but she's pretty solid that Nikon is the better option, at least for the kinds of photos she does(natural light lifestyle photography). She used Canon for a long time, a couple years, and then switched to Nikon and never looked back.

Sponsors
    except that i have a lot of $$$ invested in lenes

Thought about the d7000 for a bit for a number of reasons. However, as capable as it is, especially in low light, the canon still has better detail in the shots across the board. Color can always be adjusted in raw. The d7000 is a pretty sweet choice for sure. If i was just buying my first dslr, that would be my top choice for sure.

Plus, you already have invested in a few canon lenses, haven't you? I'd go 60d. It'd be a sweet step up from what you have now, whereas the t3i I think would be a relatively small improvement...

OH my wife was confused about what I was relaying to her from another room, lol. She thought you asking if you should switch to Nikon.

She says T3i. The t3i has better video than the 60d, and if you are going to get a 60d, you might as well get a mark V.

Sponsors
    t3i and 60d have same video/same sensor/etc. Just different body and shutter. I liked the shutter on the 60d better (and its faster at 1/8000 sec). But i'm debating if its worth the extra $200 for the shutter, slightly faster focusing, and larger more sturdy body. The t3i is about $699, the 60d is about $800. The from there it jumps up like crazy. The 7d is $1600 (but $1200 or so if i buy used). A used 5d mkII is still about $1600-1800. And the new mark III are in the $3k+ range

Probably not worth it for what you are doing with it. Knives are patient subjects, and you have always gotten great photos in the past with what you have already.

You using this for skype stuff too, or do you have a dedicated video camera?

Local camera store owner (cool photographer and techie) recommended 60D to me when replacing my Rebel dslr.
    You must have read this already - anyway dpreviews 60D review
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/20

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Probably not worth it for what you are doing with it. Knives are patient subjects, and you have always gotten great photos in the past with what you have already.

You using this for skype stuff too, or do you have a dedicated video camera?
    i have a dedicated skype cam... this is for product photos, but more so just for fun. Its my expensive hobby (yes, even when compared to knives and stones)

My wife likes her EOS 1d Mk 4. She is looking at selling het Mk3 to get a lighter weight body for some stuff, tho. She's getting tendinitis in her shooting hand.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread