Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NKD... ( new knife day )

NKD... ( new knife day )

Following a tradition on Sevenstring.org where immidiate capture and posting of a new aquisition is required, I'll post my NKD. I sold off a good portion of my work kit to co-workers to fund a couple new purchases. While I loved the performance and feel of my konosuke white #2 gyutos the edge retention, for me, in a busy pro kitchen was a bit lacking so off they went. the 210mm to the exec sous, and the 270 to the sous. The hiromoto... mixed feelings about this knife. I loved the sharpness and edge retention, but being so in tune with my konos I always felt like it was quite heavy and a bit clunky, so off it went also to the sous( he is a big fella' and also gifted him a cleaned up beaty 0 cleaver which in his hands doesn't look big at all ). Lastly my 210 tojiro gyuto. I bought this after having my konosukes, a mizuno tanrenjo, akifusa, so I can't really say why I picked it up. Curiosity I suppose. This knife went to the exec sous' brother who just got himself back into a pro kitchen after a bit of a hiatus.

New kit: Suisin IH 240mm sujihiki( basically replaced my 210 kono in use ) and 270mm gyuto. Also threw the Gesshin 400 stone in there it's also fairly new )

Also picked up this little gem for the house.

You have solid taste, well played sir!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Elegant looking blades. I hope they prove to be what you are after.

Congrats, and thanks for posting.

Congratulations on the new kit. Love the handle shape on the Suisin IH, the rounded bottom just feels right.

Rick

Love the wood used for the handles Looks like a nice kit!
    Len

Congrats!

I'm very curious to hear what you think about the edge retention compared to the kono. I have a kono white, and I too think that the edge retention is lacking a bit for a pro kitchen

Very nice additions to the collection!

@ jmfreeman: I've had the suji for almost 3 weeks now. I sharpened it once as soon as I recieved it and have been maintaining the edge stropping on 3 micron natural diamond on leather, and 1 micron diamond/ 1/2 micron boron carbide on leather and after a light stropping the majority of the edge will still comfortably shave, save the very tip where it sees the most board contact, and feel that I will probably get another week or so of useable sharpness. The edge retention of the suisin far surpasses the kono white 2 in my experience.

Interesting...I'm looking to pick up another gyuto, and the suisin is on the list of contenders. Just wasn't sure if it would be too similar to my kono to justify getting, but if the edge retention is that much better, it just moved up a couple of spots.

Thanks for the feedback

How the performance of the Suisin IH gyuto?