Quantcast
NKD... ( new knife day ) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NKD... ( new knife day )

I don't think the edge retention of the Suisin IH is that much better than the Konosuke white#2 accept for the typical carbon vs. stainless degradation differences from more acidic items...however, I am speaking of in a home environment using only edge-grain cutting boards, but I could see how this is much more apparent in a kitchen all day. Kono HD and Suisin IH are much closer aligned in all performance aspects that it is almost too close to call, except for price differential.

From the pics it looks like the 240 suji has the same size handle as the 210 petty--do you find it to be a bit small?

I've notice the Suisin IH is getting a lot of love again lately...the cycle is coming back around.

I've had a Suisin IH 270 mm gyuto and 210 mm petty for over a year and I think you're talking very high performance lasers here. Nice score K-Fed.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    From the pics it looks like the 240 suji has the same size handle as the 210 petty--do you find it to be a bit small?
    it is a little small but I feel that it suits the knife well and feels "right". It is however a little bit lager in diameter than my 240 Konosuke hd gyuto and the handle on the IH gyuto is considerably larger than that on the konosuke which is something I like. I had always felt that the 270 konosuke gyuto would benefit from a bit larger handle and as far as the difference in edge retention between the white and semi-stainless/ stainless, I think alot of it did have to do with working with a considerable amount of acidic foods and some may also be due to the addition of the 3 micron natural diamond strop as I didn't have that before off loading the konosukes. Thanks Dave by the way for posting the link to advanced abrasives. So very cool of you

Cool

Thanks for posting!! Love that new board!!!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I love the idea of NKD. I also hear the mods saying "uh oh".

I took a few more pics to show what I was talking about in regards to handle size.

In order left to right: Suisin IH 270mm gyuto, Konosuke HD 240mm gyuto, Suisin 240mm sujihiki

and most of whats left of the work kit after purging

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    wow that is a big handle.

i didnt know suisin's handles came in different colors. are both handles made of the same wood? all your new purchases look great btw!

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i didnt know suisin's handles came in different colors. are both handles made of the same wood? all your new purchases look great btw!
    Thanks =). The handles are made from the same wood. Just a good example of the natural variation of colors in woods/ natural materials.

From what I have seen the IH handles are darker in color on all pictures?

+ Reply to Thread