Found knives, help identify?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjohnan

Reaction score
Hi all, I found 3 knives in the basement at the place I work. They originally were owned by my bosses brother. I have confirmed two are Masamotos the third I am not sure what it is. Can anyone identify it? Also I am curious as to the value of these knives. I know that Masamoto is a good knife, but I have no idea how old they are or if they would lose value if I were to have them refurbished. (one in particular is pretty beat up) Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and enjoy your day!

DSC00267.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

DSC00279.jpg

DSC00280.jpg

Third knife is a sushikiri. Translates to: naka/masu/?/saku.
Naka + masu are the name of the maker & saku translates to 'made by'. The third kanji is unfamiliar. Could be the third part of the makers name or could be a descriptor for the 'made by'.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I dont know, but I dig the cleaver and nakiri...bad habits are in my blood hehehehe. <scurries away to his cleaver collection>

You've got a lot of work ahead of you to restore the knife that I like, in that collection. Actually, they all need a lot of work. Cool find, though.

Are those not Masamoto kanji?

It has to be a fairly old knife considering most Masamoto knives have say whether its from the Sohonten branch or Tsukiji branch... Probably before the two companies spit. I see a small round symbol under the Masamoto name. Could I ask you to take a picture of it? I'll ask Masamoto and see what I find out for you.

My goodness those are crazy looking knives. I'm sure whoever will refurbish them will have fun. lol

Back