Anyone has experiance with the customer service from Koki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candlejack

Reaction score
Hi, i just mailed Koki after my Fu-rin-ka-zan Nakiri decided to chip the **** up while sharpening. I've only had to strop it back to full performance but today i actually sharpened it.

When i did that, it just chipped the **** out, along the whole edge. Something i've NEVER seen before. I might add that the chips were long "spikes" and you could feel the grain in your hand, almost like sand.

I have never experienced anything like this but strongly suspects it to be a failed HT-job (I don't know what you say in the states, but we call it a "monday exemplar" when it's one or a few of all the things that is flawed)

HT-failures can happen to the very best, and from my understanding, white steel is much more prone to it, so i feel no blame.

I am mostly worried about the language-barrier and perhaps the shipping to japan. (Shipping here in Sweden is awfully expensive, but i would count it as one of the most reliable post-services in the world.)

I have never experienced anything like this, nor was i stressed when i did the job. It also continues in the same way when i tried to correct it. And i can't put an edge on it anymore.

I have had only exemplary service from him - but that is before, and during a purchase. He seems to be a great person to deal with but i just feel i want some confirmation so i know what to expect. I mean if he's used to clumsy customers and suspects everyone of ruining it or if he trusts his customers to know what they're doing.

// Daniel

Back in 2009 I had to return a sujihiki that arrived with a twisted blade. Koki was the perfect gentleman about it, and worked with me to resolve the situation. I would expect that he will do the same in your case and you should have no problems.

Do watch the verbiage you use, though, and try to keep the discussion about the problem with the knife, and not about placing blame for the problem.

Rick

Back in 2009 I had to return a sujihiki that arrived with a twisted blade. Koki was the perfect gentleman about it, and worked with me to resolve the situation. I would expect that he will do the same in your case and you should have no problems.

Do watch the verbiage you use, though, and try to keep the discussion about the problem with the knife, and not about placing blame for the problem.

Rick

I place no blame at all, this is stuff that happends. This was all done by hand and nobody is perfect.

About the verbiage - do you mean because of the language barrier (that i've experienced before) or because of the stereotype about formality and respect?
I don't know how true the stereotype is with Koki, and i spoke as usual, tried to be a bit extra clear due to the language-barrier.

Do you agree with my suspicions about HT or do you know about anything else that could have caused this? I didn't do any rough sharpening at all, just went to the finishers.

"Anyone has experience with the customer service from Koki?"

The guy has always been a very straight shooter with me...

"Anyone has experience with the customer service from Koki?"

The guy has always been a very straight shooter with me...

Not that i ever worried, but this confirmation makes comfortable again.

I had a knife accidentally shipped to an old address. The knife was returned to Japan. Koki shipped the knife back to me for free despite my error even after I offered to cover the cost. Top notch customer service.

Koki is great, if you want a custom knife, he will do his best to help you get what you want. So, obviously he is a man who takes his customer satisfaction very seriously.

I think this thread maybe premature? I totally understand OP's frustration + what it'll take to fix the issue but let's give Koki a chance to talk to OP first.

I think this thread maybe premature? I totally understand OP's frustration + what it'll take to fix the issue but let's give Koki a chance to talk to OP first.

This is not one of those threads. No blame is passed onto Koki (which i think i made absolutely clear in the post itself)
And more praise than than criticism (none, or one part about language barrier) was written.

I blame Koki even less than i blame the smith, who i don't blame at all.
And if anything, this thread makes for good commercial value for Koki

This is not one of those threads. No blame is passed onto Koki (which i think i made absolutely clear in the post itself)
And more praise than than criticism (none, or one part about language barrier) was written.

I blame Koki even less than i blame the smith, who i don't blame at all.
And if anything, this thread makes for good commercial value for Koki

Maybe my cynical self read something between then lines. Sorry :)

I see nothing negative in this thread. I find it useful and informative. I have never needed to return an item. I have had nothing but amazing customer service from Koki. It is nice to see people had good service rectifying situations that came up.

One of the concerns buying from Japan directly is what to do when a return is needed. In the USA Koki has a "USA office" in CA that accepts the returns for us and you can imagine this is great. How it works for other countries? I have no idea.

Koki is great to deal with. He sorted through his stock for me and sent me the most neutral knife he could find when he discovered that I'm left-handed.
It's really too bad he can't have a vendor forum hereso we could find out who he's workin with, get some great inside info and pictures of what's going on in Japan.

It's really too bad he can't have a vendor forum hereso we could find out who he's workin with, get some great inside info and pictures of what's going on in Japan.

We've talked about it but I don't think he'll be actively participating on any forum, he's just too busy.

As far as to this point, it has been excellent talking to him, as expected.
There was less misunderstandings than before, there was no problem this time around.

He takes it very seriously and will speak with Mister Fujiwara about it tomorrow and they'll come up with a soloution that hopefully makes us all happy.

And yes, Koki always seem to be very, very busy. But it would be great to have him here, even if he only pops in once in a while.

I love that Japanese mail is like 10x better than our own. I've received packages from Koki in two days! literally!

I love that Japanese mail is like 10x better than our own. I've received packages from Koki in two days! literally!

Yes, that is one of my favorite things with JCK. I've also started to respect our own postal-service alot more since i experienced and heard about other postal services.. but us swedes, we whine about everything we can

I have now removed around 1mm-1,5mm of edge in search of more stability.. well, the 2cm from the front is now sharp, but the rest of the blade won't take an edge. I'm not sure i want to try more.

+1
Never had any language barrier with Koki or the other Japanese makers I have ordered from or spoken to.

Dave

We are done having children, but next dog...?

Might just name him Koki.

Good boy Koki. Good boy!

:D

Top notch customer service!!! Goes way beyond what would be considered normal in Europe to make sure that you are happy with your purchase...

Latest posts

Back