Quantcast
converting a hollow ground to a beveled blade - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: converting a hollow ground to a beveled blade

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz575 View Post
    Yikes. I would look for some other damascus blades or something, you have the worst luck with the ones you are finding!! The specs for 1095 changed a few years back where the Mn content changed, which can lead to the steel not hardening properly. I dunno of you want to put a lot of time into this blade and find out it's soft like the other one. That one looks like it would need a whole re grind on it, which will take a long time on the stones. Can you get a refund?
    no I bought this back in Feb. This is probably a drawer queen. Next damascus I buy prob will be a billet from a maker in the us.

Typically these will not hold an edge because they can not be hardened, so you can probably reshape the face of the blade with a file.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+1 on the file.

Got an Atoma plate? DMT XXC? Harbor Freight Story nearby(a 1x30 belt sander is like $40).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    It is wedging because it is at least 10 times thicker than it should be.
    i'd say more like 50.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i'd say more like 50.
    yep, lolz
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Do you have much use for a Western Deba? Looks like it would save you a lot of bother and time if you just used your knife for that

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ty for all the feed back. The blade in the pic. that everyone was asking about I was using to set the focus, for the primary knife. It was the first damascus I bought off of e-bay. It is a dagger that needs to have a handle put on.

I have thinned this down, and it needs more. When I bought a 600 stone I didn't think I would need a lower one. I have yet to put a edge on this yet, but will do soon. It looks really rough atm. Ty all for your help and suggestions.

My friend took another knife to do a saya for before doing a larger one. Tanaka santoku I bought quite a while ago that doesn't fit in my knife carrier.

Will post pic's soon

+ Reply to Thread