Quantcast
Black Sycamore - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Sycamore

This piece of sycamore is now a handle, it has some odd characteristics compared to other stabilized wood that I have used. It is really poreous, most of the surface doesn't seem to have absorbed the stabilizing material. This gives it texture, but the surface Needs to be sealed. I put some boiled linseed oil on it and it drank it up like crazy. If I can get the oil to cure I think some more finish is going to be needed.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Hmmm. Maybe the stabilizing only coated the cell walls instead of fully filling them??

I would sure like to see some photos of what you are talking about.
    Something for everyone to bear in mind. If you are going to use an oil finish on any wood that is spalted or porous you will want to use an oil blend like tung oil or danish oil. These will build up a surface finish. Boiled linseed oil is more of a penetrating oil. Good for making the grain and figure stand out.
    You can still use one of these oil blends over the linseed oil.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

What is avaialable of the dyed black maple? I have a couple of cleavers I want to re-handle, and my last name is Gray!!!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by hax9215 View Post
    What is avaialable of the dyed black maple? I have a couple of cleavers I want to re-handle, and my last name is Gray!!!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    Last I looked in the webstore there were a few nice pieces of maple dyed black and stabilized.
    This link will take you to the maple section of the store.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

+ Reply to Thread