Black Sycamore

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I thought I would take a gamble and have some of the Sycamore dyed black.
This is the first one I cleaned up. Every piece will look different but I am encouraged so far.
Good? Bad?
I like it. But I would like to hear what you guys think.
Saturday I will do a drawing and give this piece away.

s004.jpg
s003.jpg

I like it... Maybe not enough for a full wa handle but I think as scales on a western with nice pins and an offsetting liner they would look great!

+1 For a wa, its lost too much of what that particular wood has to offer, With pins and spacers/liners it wold be nice.

I think it is awesome! I am appreciating the dark woods more and more lately. It almost reminds me of a surface charred curly maple or koa.

How bout as a bolster/ferrule material?

Winning post is #2
Spike wins the Black Sycamore
Congratulations

lololol this was a drawing? Blast!

Congrats, Spike, glad its in good hands.

Yee haw! thanks mark! I have a Suji-ish blade on my bench now that I have been trying to decide on wood for, and this will be perfect! I just carved a wax for the bolster and I think that I will cast in a white alloy to go with the black. Maybe add an ivory spacer in there as well!

Some of these pieces are already spoken for but I wanted to show them anyways.
This is some maple dyed black. Dying wood you never know what you are going to get until after they are all done.
q005.jpg

I am digging that black dyed maple. I need to use up the rest of my stash before I can buy some new stuff.

The koa blocks are spoken for.
They were posted in the wrong place and I thought that was OK because nobody was looking at this thread.

There is more really good koa coming soon.

This piece of sycamore is now a handle, it has some odd characteristics compared to other stabilized wood that I have used. It is really poreous, most of the surface doesn't seem to have absorbed the stabilizing material. This gives it texture, but the surface Needs to be sealed. I put some boiled linseed oil on it and it drank it up like crazy. If I can get the oil to cure I think some more finish is going to be needed.

Hmmm. Maybe the stabilizing only coated the cell walls instead of fully filling them??

I would sure like to see some photos of what you are talking about.
Something for everyone to bear in mind. If you are going to use an oil finish on any wood that is spalted or porous you will want to use an oil blend like tung oil or danish oil. These will build up a surface finish. Boiled linseed oil is more of a penetrating oil. Good for making the grain and figure stand out.
You can still use one of these oil blends over the linseed oil.

What is avaialable of the dyed black maple? I have a couple of cleavers I want to re-handle, and my last name is Gray!!!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Latest posts

Back