Quantcast
Son's Old "Sabatier" WIP - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Son's Old "Sabatier" WIP

According to the internet, there is or was a cutlery manufacturer is France named Usines J Simon which I believe translates as J Simon Mill. Little info other than that but could be your point of origin?

-AJ

This is fun to watch. Thanks for the pictures and description TK.

Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    This is fun to watch. Thanks for the pictures and description TK.

Looking forward to seeing the end result.
    It's my pleasure. I can't ever tell what WIP's are going to be shot down, lol.

Hey, Tk

Steeley found a French cleaver with the SI mone mark only it isn't. That mark is actually saying St Honore rue 84. That is the original Paris address of Sabatier before they moved to Thierss France. This may very well be one of the oldest Sabatiers around. The reason it looks like SIMONE is that the word St and Honore are butt up against each other and all the pitting and wear. Hope this helps solve your mystery.
    son
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Yup. I just read that! Very cool. Too bad the hand part of the mark isn't visible in the slightest. I spent a lot of time looking for any other markings but 1. the pitting and rusting is pretty bad/deep and 2. This knife was clearly ground and reground several times over its lifetime. I did a little more work on it. I'll post some pics once I polish out the heavier scratches a bit.

Any updates, perchance?

Okay. Here it is in its current state. I've put a rough finish on it for testing. It will go through at least one more workout on the grinder before I declare it finished, in terms of cutting performance. Then, it will be about cosmetics. That's been tough for me to decide on. This is a very roughly forged blade. The thickness is inconsistent, the spine isn't straight (I've already straightened it some.) and the list goes on. Part of me wants to leave vestiges of its original state. The other part wants to make it look as new as possible. I dunno... Then there's the curvature decision. And there's also the pointedness of the tip and tip height...

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070279 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	6054Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070278 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	6053

I agree the choice between performance and aesthetics might be a hard one. Not in this case though. It has to do with authenticity as well. Previous grinders and users, and perhaps even the maker, did clearly not care about looks. Apart from possible geometry and profile adjustments, I would just polish the first 1/2" from the edge as that is clearly performance enhancing. Whatever you decide: good luck and have fun!

The tip is pretty high, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    ...It has to do with authenticity as well. Previous grinders and users, and perhaps even the maker, did clearly not care about looks. Apart from possible geometry and profile adjustments, I would just polish the first 1/2" from the edge as that is clearly performance enhancing...
    Agreed.

@heirkb: Yes, it is on the high side. I don't have a problem dicing onions but if I wanted to mince garlic or something like that, the tip wouldn't be great.

+ Reply to Thread