Quantcast
Konosuke HD--Blemish or Patina?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Konosuke HD--Blemish or Patina?

Konosuke HD--Blemish or Patina?

I wanted to ask the forum for their feedback and experience with Konosuke HD knives. I have a 240 HD Kiritsuke and a 210 HD Suji. I've had the knives for about six months. When the first Kiritsuke arrived is had a couple of, lets say round blemishes on the front of the knife. I was unable to remove them with Mothers polish, Flitz or Cape Cod cloths. I didn't think too much about it cause the knife is so amazing both visually and cutting ability. But then after about a month I noticed those marks all over the blade. I contact Mark at CKTG and he promptly put me touch with Mr Kosuke from Honosuke. He requested that I send the knife back to him in Japan. Mark shipped another knife to me immediately. Mr Kosuke confirmed that my knife was defective.

When the second knife arrived, it has a perfectly clean finish, mark free. Last week, a couple of marks starting showing on the new knife. the Suji is still perfectly clean.

Can others comment on their experience with the HD knives. Are yours also showing these little blurry steel marks? Thanks dennis

it seems they do this after contact with water mostly. however mine always came off when i polished it with flitz.

On mine it doesn't appear to be anything more than a water stain. Also very hot water and a quick dry will sometimes remove the stains as well.

Mine has developed a mottled matte grey patina, with many spots and blotches, including a yellowish patch where I place my thumb. But mine spends A LOT of time in my hand.

I should add that these spots have never troubled me at all. The bevel is super shiny and after just over a years very heavy use the knife has lots of character.

Mine just gets some sort of spots that are hard to see, they aren't that noticeable to be honest and it doesn't bother me at all

Mine is grayer all around than it used to be. I did an acid etch test on one spot over a year ago and the spot is still there. It sounds to me like your gyuto just spends more time wet than your suji. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bad batch out there. I don't think they make these knives in house so I doubt they'd even know if there was.

Thanks Guys. A bad batch is what i think it is. But as commented on, it does not effect the performance. But hey I'm a Virgo and spent $300 on a single knife. To some thats par for the course but its still a lot of dough not to have the object in perfect condition. ya know

Quote Originally Posted by dennismpintoii View Post
    Thanks Guys. A bad batch is what i think it is. But as commented on, it does not effect the performance. But hey I'm a Virgo and spent $300 on a single knife. To some thats par for the course but its still a lot of dough not to have the object in perfect condition. ya know
    Whether $300 is par for the course or not, you should still be getting the product, as advertised. Why don't you try using your suji in place of your gyuto for a while and see if you don't get the gray spots. If they both get it, then maybe you can throw out the bad batch theory. If the suji is still pristine-looking after a couple of weeks, you will have pretty much irrefutable evidence of a bad blade.

Thanks TK59. I will take your advise but I have had the Suji for two months and have certainly cut a fair amount of citrus. I took a shot of the face but can't figure out how to attach it?

Use a service like Picasa, Photobucket etc..... and insert the link in your post via "insert image".

+ Reply to Thread