Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke HD--Blemish or Patina?

My personal experience: I've had a Kono HD 150 petty for six months or so. Use it almost daily, frequently for peeling and sectioning citrus and cutting tomatoes, so lots of acidic contact.

So far, no staining whatever...but I'm pretty good about washing and drying it right after use.

I have staining on my HD gyuto. I made a post before because I was surprised that it didn't look like patina (the way it would look on a regular carbon knife), but rather it looked like grey waterspots (like on silverware). Since then they have grown more numerous but they don't bother me. There is also one mark that is a straight line from the edge to the spine...I have no idea what it was but I must have left something nasty stuck to the blade for awhile...

There is another possibility that nobody talks about. They could have just sent you a knife with the wrong steel. The first Konosuke I ever bought was supposed to be white #2 and I KNOW it is stainless. Since then, I am aware of at least one other instance where such was the case.

sounds like it was a typical carbon reaction alright. did the hd have the hd logo on the blade? ofcourse pics will clear up all this i believe.

I don't think it sounds like regular carbon reactivity. OP seems to be describing it as "round spots"....I would think regular carbon reactivity would be described more as large and streaky "smears" (I couldn't think of a better word)

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    sounds like it was a typical carbon reaction alright. did the hd have the hd logo on the blade? ofcourse pics will clear up all this i believe.
    You mean "typical KonHD reaction," right? I think what is odd isn't so much the staining, it's that one blade stains a lot more than the other.

Is this what you are talking about?

Mine did what those pics show, more or less. I noticed it happened after going through a bunch of tangerines one day. That was all I used it for that day and it wasn't there before. I just figured that was normal for this steel.

hmmm, WOW is that a well used knife. Dude that blade looks like it went through a war {GRIN}

I'm too anal to let my steel get to that patina level. Here is a photo of my spots on the face side.

[IMG][/IMG]

slowtyper, check out the photo I just posted. Are these the same spots you are experiencing?