Quantcast
Konosuke HD--Blemish or Patina? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke HD--Blemish or Patina?

Semi stainless has an ugly water spot-like patina. I say ignore it until it builds and becomes more uniform....
    I've been using mine for years and it has all kinds of character, but those first few spots bothered me too.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Maybe that since they use a mystery steel they can change this steel whenever they want and you'll never know. Using mystery steels is not only good for keeping trade secrets it's also good for allowing the knife maker the ability to change things up as need be. It could be possible that different gyutos bought at different times have different steels being used which explains some of these knives having different patina appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by dennismpintoii View Post
    slowtyper, check out the photo I just posted. Are these the same spots you are experiencing?
    Hmmm, no...mine look more like hmmm's photos. Not as much patina as hmmm but definitely not small little pinhole dots. The smallest one is about a centimter in diamter and kind of oblong shaped. Might be the same thing except maybe your knife just got "splashed" with citrus juice or something!

Good question! I don't remember, myself...

I purchased an hd 6 monthes ago, it didn't have an laquer and was quite stainless in appearance.

I don't think they are lacquered. Both of mine came covered in oil. I'm not so hung up on the spotting, what what can I do? Seems sensless to send it back for another one. Guess it is what it is. Cuts like a mofo so thats good at least.

Had my HD suji for over a year and used regularly---looks nothing like hmms pics, much more stainless characteristics than carbon

You could just nickel plate it!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

My hd looks pretty much brand new and ive had it for over a year