Japanese Knives New Gesshin 1000 Grit Extra Large Stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
Coming Soon... the New Gesshin 1000 Grit Extra Large.

Not to be confused with our Gesshin 1000 Grit Splash-and-Go stone, this stone is indeed a soaker. You can read more about it in the video description. It will be like on the JKI website tomorrow.

[video=youtube;GPy3OJrgkqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GPy3OJrgkqY[/video]

For a long time, we have carried the Naniwa Akamon 1000 grit stone as our Large size stone. Besides being a good stone, I have sentimental attachment to this stone as the first stone I really learned sharpening on (it was a gift from my chef in Japan). However, since developing the Gesshin line of stones, I find myself constantly testing new stones and new formulas. One day, a little while back, I found myself testing what would become our new Gesshin 1000 Grit Extra Large stone. Initially, I was really impressed with the cutting speed and tactile feedback of the stone. It also resisted dishing pretty well. It was a much faster cutter than the Naniwa and had equal if not better tactile feedback. When compared to the Gesshin 2000, it’s not quite as fast, but the tactile feedback is just as nice. The Gesshin 1000 Extra Large also works up mud more than the Gesshin 2000.

At that time, I didn’t know what to do with the stone. I wasn’t going to replace my Gesshin 2000 with it because I love my Gesshin 2000. But I must admit, it was good enough that it had me thinking about the possibility. Later, the idea came to me that I should see if we could get it in a super-sized version as a replacement of the Naniwa Akamon 1000, as it’s a much better all-around stone. It turned out to be possible, and so here we are with the new Extra Large stone.

If any of you are in LA, I have the smaller version here in the shop (my testing stone) for your testing pleasure. I will also soon be making a video with that stone so you can get an idea of how this stone works. I know the price is a bit higher than our previous extra-large option, but considering the performance AND size of the stone, I think you will see it is worth it.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

-Jon

Finally got up some pictures and a video of this stone in action:

img_7442.jpg

img_7443.jpg

img_7444.jpg

img_7445.jpg

[video=youtube;cw2GCTki3VE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cw2GCTki3VE[/video]

Dang. How about the G400 in that size? :idea2:

Latest posts

Back