Quantcast
Moritaka strikes again
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka strikes again

Moritaka strikes again

One of my first Japanese knives was from Moritaka.
    I have a Petty, Gyuto and Nakiri.
    I have heard of the problem Dave mentioned but i never had it on my Moritakes. I have seen the problem on some of my customers knives.
    Like Dave mentions they are just not fixable !! If you have that hole in your knife you have to grind behind it to remove that hole completely.
    So i thought i was pretty lucky because all of mine 3 Moritakas did not had that issues.
    Until recently
    I used my Moritakas a lot, so i probably used 2 or 3 mm of my knifes, and guess what the hole problem showed up after that
    So just to remind you all, that hole problem is real on Moritakas and it can even show up after you have used your knife for some time !!

Wow I'm shocked - not.

I just recently had two more problem Moritakas come through that I refused to work on. One of these was very clearly an issue but the other one was more hidden like your knife.

Sorry to hear that you got hit with this Maksim but you're not alone.

Sorry to hear that.

I have seen some of these 'holes' on Watanabe or whoever made those knives. My understanding they are grinding dips from a grinding wheel - they are often at the heel (from wobbling the blade or plunge it unevenly). These 'dips' can be right at the edge, or above the edge, like in Maxim's case. If you ever flattened a yanagi, you would know exactly what I am talking about.

These dips can be concealed with finish, so one won't see them until a knife is on the stones. To remove these dips entirely, a knife has to be thinned considerably and sometimes height reduced. Sometiemes, a yanagi has to be trashed because of that - Dave, remember that Tanaka yanagi you were working on?

I won't be very diplomatic saying it is poor workmanship rather than minor imperfections, and sending out knives like these, a maker assumes that public is uneducated on knives and won't catch the defect. It doesn't render the knife unusable though, but it does diminish its value.

I yet again tip my hat to Shigefusa, as I never seen a knife from them that had a similar issue, and probably never will.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Yes, like you Marko i have seen that problem on some other knives too, even on stamped Germans.

What does Moritaka have to say about it? I would think they would stand behind then workmanship and correct it if something is wrong?

I have two moritakas, 150 petty and the new KS, and so far so good. But I'm not going to be a happy man if i come across this issue down the road...

Quote Originally Posted by jmfreeman35 View Post
    What does Moritaka have to say about it? I would think they would stand behind then workmanship and correct it if something is wrong?

I have two moritakas, 150 petty and the new KS, and so far so good. But I'm not going to be a happy man if i come across this issue down the road...

I can't point you to the exact threads but back on KF it was noted multiple times that members had contacted Moritaka directly and the response was initially denial then later acknowledgement, however, the acknowledgment came with a refusal to do anything about the problem....something along the lines of, "we know that this happens but it's not a problem - this is normal" or something to that effect.

Also, the US retailer has been told about this issue numerous times yet (in my opinion) has refused to accept it as fact.

Anyone buying these knives is rolling craps.....

I had one for two years and never had any issues with holes. I did an incredible amount of thinning and certainly took off over 2-3mm from the edge. There was a section that perhaps could have had an issue that was far more ground down than than the rest of the knife, but I noticed it early in the thinning process and brought things into line with it. It could be that my experiences were an exception in that the potential hole was small and I never had problems. I wouldn't buy a Moritaka again, but that has to do with the overly reactive cladding, and it being a clad knife to begin with.

I loved that knife and still miss certain aspects of it, but with as many other knives there are out there it just isn't worth the potential problems to buy one in my humble opinion.

Although when I did gamble I played craps and always came out on top, but I still won't be buying one again.

Awesome. I can't believe that they know this is going on, yet refuse to do anything about it.

Frankly, I'm rather ticked off that I am supporting a company that knows they are putting out a flawed product and doesnt care...I wish did a little more research before picking up my moritakas...

I want to point out that this problem can occur on any knife from any maker. As others have noted this has been also observed on other knives, yanagis, German stamped knives... Unless the knifemaker grinds each knife perfectly every time. Finish polishing can certainly hide it, but basically I don't think there is going to be any western style knife polished with a sanding belt or grinding wheel that doesn't have small variations in the surface that would show up if you ground it against a flat stone. Usually the dips should not be so deep that they would affect the edge when sharpening.

The fact that this has been noted more frequently with Moritaka doesn't reflect well on them, but I would characterize this as a factor present in all knives, I have thinned many gyutos and inevitably when you put the side of a blade on the stones you will see higher and lower spots, all knives have this to some degree. It is a matter of degree, obviously if the hole is deep enough to affect the edge it is a problem. Most yanagi that you try to flatten will have this problem also, due to machine grinding. It is only some of the high priced yanagis that have more steps of hand finishing that will have a flat blade road from the maker, these represent the exception rather than the rule.