Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka strikes again

I wish someone would post a picture with arrows pointing to trouble zones. Although your explanations are great, I still can't quite visualize the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    I think the problem here is mistaken with uneven grind, Its not !
    It is not like on Yanagis or wide bevel knives that have uneven grinds or low spots. That you can fix.
    But problem with Moritake is more complex.
    It is like the hard steel (hagane) on the knife is bend in and if you try flatten the bevel that spot get more steel removal and creates a big hole in the edge.

On Yanagis or other knives there are just low spots that can be fixed with flattening, and they are usually only on cladding.

Um. Holy crap. That is a MAJOR defect!!

I have learned to sharpen overground knives, the bevel looks nasty and it takes some extra concentration, but as long as your stone contact area is larger than the overgrind you are fine. I've seen overgrinds on all types and makes of knives. Of all the knives I've seen 3 or more of, the only brand/maker with a spotless record in my experience has been Suisin and Rodrigue. I'm sure there are several makers who have a record like that, but I haven't seen many of their knives. The truth is, it's not the end of the world, and often is more cosmetic.

This, however. Sounds like a nightmare situation!! I remember reading his letter about how he doesn't think that it will affect the way Japanese cooks use the knives because they use a slicing motion. But how on Earth do these ever get forged? Aren't there quality checks at any point??

I've been fortunate enough to have never been sent a troublesome Moritaka for sharpening...maybe no Moritakas?? I think the word is out in the US about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Um. Holy crap. That is a MAJOR defect!!

I have learned to sharpen overground knives, the bevel looks nasty and it takes some extra concentration, but as long as your stone contact area is larger than the overgrind you are fine.
    Can you explain what this means in more detail?

IMO, Moritaka sells ten fold the knives Watanabe sells, so if there is ten times the problems, it seems normal to me...

I have several, including a custom ordered 300 yanagi. I have sharpened it many, many times...zero issues.

Reminds me of the Taurus handgun...guy tells me they send back two Taurus for one of every other gun combined...then goes on to tell me 75% of what they sell is Taurus!!!! Hello?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    IMO, Moritaka sells ten fold the knives Watanabe sells, so if there is ten times the problems, it seems normal to me...

I have several, including a custom ordered 300 yanagi. I have sharpened it many, many times...zero issues.

Reminds me of the Taurus handgun...guy tells me they send back two Taurus for one of every other gun combined...then goes on to tell me 75% of what they sell is Taurus!!!! Hello?
    I don't see why these knives would ever even get to the end of the process of being made, much less leave the shop. This is not like an "Oops, didn't notice that", they genuinely do not feel it is an issue worth addressing, as stated in the email response the maker sent out! It's his business, he can run it how he likes; I just don't see how a giant warp in the core steel is acceptable. It's like a chef saying that he's really busy and serves hundreds of people a day, sometimes a broken sauce gets put on a plate, no big deal, my customers mix it with the starch anyways. It's a problem you can spot way before it even gets finished, and shouldn't be up to par for QC.

If you like the Shun wavy jobbies you would not have a problem!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by FinkPloyd View Post
    I wish someone would post a picture with arrows pointing to trouble zones. Although your explanations are great, I still can't quite visualize the problem.
    There was a long thread about this issue posted here last summer, including this illustration of this problem.

Not sure that the experts all agree this accurately depicts the problem or not.

Yes, that is what a 'hole' or a 'dip' looks like. You will notice it when your edge doesn't hit the stone, while you sharpen. It's basically an overgrind. It can be at the edge or above it - hell, it can be anywhere on the blade, depending how sloppy the person grinding it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overgrind-1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	5833

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post

I agree with your thinking 100% but Moritaka was passing their worst examples to us when they were selling less than 10 knives a year in the USA. Early on I saw some very nice work from them that was one off custom stuff but their village blacksmith models have always been clunky>junky from day 1. And for the record their not a volume knife making company, they're a tiny little back alley blacksmith who jump between fixing jackhammer bits to making these knives. Any top quality workmanship that the family produced in the realm of swordmaking has evidently long passed.

I got to say, I like the name of this thread.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com