Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sakai Yusuke 210 Wa-Gyuto Review

If Sakai Yusuke did a harder stainless knife Id be very interested in it. I have a white #2 knife but I'm sorta moving towards just stainless and semi-stainless

one of my only gripes with my kono is that everything seems to stick to it. which i blame on the grind i guess. im curious if yusukes are any better in that regard.

My Yusuke's have a mild convex if not flat grind, but there is decent convexing above the primary bevel. I have minor problems with stickage. Mostly with hard things like acorn squash and sweet potatoes. they are so thin there's not a lot of convex like of thicker knives.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Yeah, it's the same for all of the lasers. The best laser types I've tried have been a Rottman custom and a KonHD that I converted to 99:1.

"and a KonHD that I converted to 99:1. "

Explain please.

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    "and a KonHD that I converted to 99:1. "

Explain please.
    Sharpened 99/1

Instead of a traditional 50/50

Ie. almost a single-bevel

Is my assumption

TK's Konosuke HD is a nice knife. Although I don't have much experience with lasers, I can say from using TK's HD that it cuts really well, with no noticeable steering even with the 99:1 edge; it's a very agile knife even thought it's a little unwieldy for me.

99:1 = the right side of his knife (looking from the heel toward the tip of the spine) has a large bevel. The left side has essentially no bevel (or what little remains from the previous edge) from what I recall.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Apologies,not trying to hijack this thread but do you mean to sharpen on a higher angle on one side(right side for me)and less on the other,or more strokes on one one side? Again sorry for the dumb question..

Could be way off, but sounds like a single bevel knife with a microbevel on the other side to stabilize it.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    TK's Konosuke HD is a nice knife. Although I don't have much experience with lasers, I can say from using TK's HD that it cuts really well, with no noticeable steering even with the 99:1 edge; it's a very agile knife even thought it's a little unwieldy for me.

99:1 = the right side of his knife (looking from the heel toward the tip of the spine) has a large bevel. The left side has essentially no bevel (or what little remains from the previous edge) from what I recall.
    Just for the record, that's the one I got from macmiddlebrooks that I refinished and converted to a 99:1 ish edge but it hasn't been used long enough to get the kind of food separation I was talking about. I don't know of Bao is around lately but he does the same thing with his TKC. I've also done it to an A-type, as has Jon. Jon also has an amazing Suisin Inox honyaki that he ground the same way.

@Deckhand: Yes.