Sakai Yusuke 210 Wa-Gyuto Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up one of those Ultra-Lasers from Keiichi AKA Bluewayjpan. WOW is this a new knife experience. I got the extra-thin blade 1.3mm and they we're kidding. Feels like 0.0013 to me--ha. I've posted a few shots of the unveiling and a comparison with my Kono HD Kiri & HD Suji. Also attached is a shot of the whole empire :thumbsup:

I've literally only had it 20 minutes but initial impressions are: large handle, F&F are better than my Kono's, OOTB is hard to gauge (how sharp is a razor blade?), the ebay item description said the knife weighs 95g. Maybe if it was sitting around drinking beer all day, it actually weighs 88g. the pic's don't show it well but it had an absolute flat back coming up maybe four inches to that Masamoto KS tip profile. I've only cut up some unripe cantaloup but it made me grin. I was actually able to cut bayonets then shave them in the air. Not sure what you guys want to know about this knife but here are some shots.

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

Thanks for taking the plunge on one of these super thin blades. Keep us updated with how your feelings are towards the knife as you get to use it more. Also, I love your collection, thanks for sharing.

Congrats, you need to start a my knives thread. Looks like you are building an impressive collection.

Congratulations! I have the standard on in 270mm and love it. I imagine your thinner version will be an amazing good time. As previously stated, I hope to hear more impressions as time goes by.

So I just bashed through a pound of carrots. the blade is so thin that it feels like a single bevel. Keiichi said that although it was a 15/15 degree bevel and that it was slightly asymmetrical. I've not looped it yet but to my naked eye I can't tell.

I have ex-large hands and am loving the larger handle. Even though the blade is impossibly thin, it is not as wimpy as you would imagine. The ferrule also has some natural blond bleeding that seems to be the same color of the handle. The packaging alone made me feel like this was a custom knife made for me.

So you're saying I need one of these? 'Cause that's what I'm feeling... :)

I have a standard 240 Yusuke, and i really enjoy cutting with it. I almost pulled the trigger on a thin one, but am saving for a gengetsu lol.

F&F are simply perfect. It actually embarrasses my Kono's. Even the handle was delicately wrapped. thats a new one for me.

Every time I pull it off the wall, I can't stop from audibly saying WOW. The way it slid through a carrot, thin or thick slices is very pleasing. Lots of knuckle clearance, definitely true gyuto profile.

I think what makes this knife unusual is that because its so thin and light very little pressure in the hand is required to put it in motion. Pinching the blade is not needed, more like merely cupping the handle is all that is required. Even through carrots. It would probably slice soft fruit on its own by just laying the knife next to the vegetable. :biggrin:

Good introduction to the knife...keep us posted good and bad.

Thanks for sharing the thin knife. I've got 3 Yusuke's, and honestly they are so thin already I've wondered how much thinner could the thin versions be, and how useful could they be, since they might be too whippy? I've considered a 210 gyuto as a utility knife - I've got a 210 suji/petty and it's a very short height at the heel, too short for board work really. The 210 gyuto seems like it's not too tall to be used in hand. Gotta say again, love Yusuke!

Mpukas, Understood about the thin factor of knives. It so thin, almost as if it was disposable, if that makes sense. There is plenty of Knuckle clearance and I have huge hands inherited from my Portuguese grandfather. He never had a knife like this though ;)

Recently got rid of my Yukes, and I must admit, out o the ten knives I've recently sold, the Yukes are the most missed. Doesn't help I sold them to a cook at my work, and I see them everyday.

Couldn't agree more on the f&f....top notch!

As far as the thinness, although the steel could hold a steeper angle, I think the super thinness almost forces you to stay at 15 degrees, so maybe super thin doesn't necessarily translate to super sharp...just my theory, though.

Sharpness is relative. I think the thinness provides extra cutting performance so the perceived sharpness is greater. Yanagiba and other single bevel knives don't have all that steep of angles but the thinness at the edge makes it act sharper than the angle would suggest. You could also just sharpen it one sided being as thin as it is I doubt you'd even notice any potential steering.

The yusukes profile is flatter than konosuke? Interesting...Do you have any idea what steel they use for their stainless line?

I am glad you took the plunge and bought one. I have a Sakai Yusuke and a Konosuke and to be honest I think the Yusuke is a bit better . They are fairly different knives, but in terms of the grind and fit and finish my Yusuke is definitely superior, food release seems a lot better for example. The Sakai Yusukes are sort of an unheralded bargain

The yusukes profile is flatter than konosuke? Interesting...Do you have any idea what steel they use for their stainless line?

Yusuke uses a couple of different steels, carbon and SS. Their carbon in white #2, hardened to 61-62. Edge gets wicked sharp, very easily, but edge retention is fair. My experience w/ their white #2 knives seems to be the same w/ other folks experiences w/ white #2. The SS they use is a Swedsh steel, I think, and hardened to 58-59. I think they may also use a cheaper, softer carbon steel for their less expensive knives.

I've read its AEB-L, or its equivalent, but not sure. I agree that Yukes f&f and grind beats Kono, but I like the Kono HD steel the best...maybe Yuke should do a semi-stainless...

If Sakai Yusuke did a harder stainless knife Id be very interested in it. I have a white #2 knife but I'm sorta moving towards just stainless and semi-stainless

one of my only gripes with my kono is that everything seems to stick to it. which i blame on the grind i guess. im curious if yusukes are any better in that regard.

My Yusuke's have a mild convex if not flat grind, but there is decent convexing above the primary bevel. I have minor problems with stickage. Mostly with hard things like acorn squash and sweet potatoes. they are so thin there's not a lot of convex like of thicker knives.

Yeah, it's the same for all of the lasers. The best laser types I've tried have been a Rottman custom and a KonHD that I converted to 99:1.

"and a KonHD that I converted to 99:1. "

Explain please.

TK's Konosuke HD is a nice knife. Although I don't have much experience with lasers, I can say from using TK's HD that it cuts really well, with no noticeable steering even with the 99:1 edge; it's a very agile knife even thought it's a little unwieldy for me.

99:1 = the right side of his knife (looking from the heel toward the tip of the spine) has a large bevel. The left side has essentially no bevel (or what little remains from the previous edge) from what I recall.

Apologies,not trying to hijack this thread but do you mean to sharpen on a higher angle on one side(right side for me)and less on the other,or more strokes on one one side? Again sorry for the dumb question..

Could be way off, but sounds like a single bevel knife with a microbevel on the other side to stabilize it.

TK's Konosuke HD is a nice knife. Although I don't have much experience with lasers, I can say from using TK's HD that it cuts really well, with no noticeable steering even with the 99:1 edge; it's a very agile knife even thought it's a little unwieldy for me.

99:1 = the right side of his knife (looking from the heel toward the tip of the spine) has a large bevel. The left side has essentially no bevel (or what little remains from the previous edge) from what I recall.
Just for the record, that's the one I got from macmiddlebrooks that I refinished and converted to a 99:1 ish edge but it hasn't been used long enough to get the kind of food separation I was talking about. I don't know of Bao is around lately but he does the same thing with his TKC. I've also done it to an A-type, as has Jon. Jon also has an amazing Suisin Inox honyaki that he ground the same way.

@Deckhand: Yes.

Back