Service Cutlery Poll

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanusInTheGarden

Reaction score
While this may belong in the back of house subforum, I thought it might be a useful discussion for anyone who was curious to read it. So here goes, a little polling: what knife (style, steel, brand, etc) do you like to use during service?
Is it the same knife on days you just know you're going to have the piss whupped out of you from sheer volume?
What makes a great service knife, for you?
Carbon/Stainless/SemiStainless?
Do you even change from your prep knife when service begins?

Personally I like to have a long knife (konosuke 270) for prep and a 210 for service. I know those petty/suji's have gotten a lot of love as the service knife but I just don't know if I could handle the lack of height. But that's just me, what about y'all?

Before I got off the line and into pastry I used a 210mm cheap chef and for prep I used 2-3 different knives depending on what I was doing. Everything from a boning knife, a 270mm suji for protien portioning and large veg cutting, and a 240mm miyabi for major prep.

During prep, I like a 240 gyuto (have a couple i switch off with), along with other task specific knives (honesuki, couple different petties, a 270 suji, etc) and for service I use and LOVE my IT 240 suji...the height is perfect, small enough to not get in the way but still tall enough to give me some knuckle clearance. Long enough to handle anything I may need and stainless is a nice touch for when things get a little crazy.

I though long and hard about going with a 210, but I'm glad I didnt.

During prep, I like a 240 gyuto (have a couple i switch off with), along with other task specific knives (honesuki, couple different petties, a 270 suji, etc) and for service I use and LOVE my IT 240 suji...the height is perfect, small enough to not get in the way but still tall enough to give me some knuckle clearance. Long enough to handle anything I may need and stainless is a nice touch for when things get a little crazy.

I though long and hard about going with a 210, but I'm glad I didnt.

In my old place I would have loved to use a 240 but the space did not allow it. So a 210 it was, I forgot I went to a 210mm artifex as my line knife. AEB-L and under $100 worked well on line, but I know that name is a no no here.

For prep I use my 150 petty or my 8" chef knife depending on what I am prepping. Sometimes my 9" Sab and less often my 300 Ashi. Rarely my Nakiri but it's there. One the line I use an 8" Dexter house knife. Piece of crap that can't even cut bread. I think we only have about 8" of cutting space, maybe 10". I am thinking of getting a 210 petty for the line. I worry that 240 will be too long. Height I don't think will be an issue since I do a pull through cut. I am hesitant though about using my own and not the crappy house knife. The advantage of the Dexter is I don't care who uses it, who takes it, how it gets used or abused. Which happens every day.

-AJ

210 gyuto. Stainless, less than $250 unless I owned the place.

I just picked up a new 270 gyuto I will use for prep in addition to a suien cleaver, on the rare occasion I work the line, I use the cleaver.

Honestly, I haven't found the length an issue. On the line, or during prep. I feel like this knife can handle it all...from smaller in hand work, to veg prep, to fish. I've done pretty much everything with it

I use my 270 gyuto on the line in addition to a 155 petty. The gyuto is my prep knife as well as a 255 kiritsuke, sometimes I take the Kiritsuke on line during service but not usually. I prefer stainless and when I had one a cleaver is a killer line knife.

Back