Quantcast
Carbon Pan Seasoniong Question + Pictures - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon Pan Seasoniong Question + Pictures

i followed the instructions that came with the pan .. works great ,.. but it does not look like cast iron seasoning ,. i could barely see any grease residue and it works great as non stick as a non stick pan. i have tried every oil known to man [other than flax seed ] and my favorite by far,for seasoning, is Lard !!

i have only one Du Beyer ,but lots of cast iron.their seasoning process is not like cast iron , similar but not exactly . i followed the instructions that came with the Du Beyer . Potato shavings followed by oil [in my case lard] on the stove at a low temp i did not get the carbonized grease layer you could barely see any coating. i cooked an egg in it and is just slid around. i would scrub that clean and start over ... watch the company video . use less grease and a lower temp i will get a picof mine at lunch time and post later today

I seasoned mine a few times and kept failing for various reasons. One time some spinach just stripped all the seasoning off. I finally decided to sand the surface clean and just cook with it like that. It's been super nonstick since. Weird...but that's my experience.

I think the deBuyer patato skin thing is an inside joke at deBuyer. Only the English language instructions talk about them. All others omit the potato skins.

The way I treat my steel and carbon pans is the same. Strip with oven cleaner (if bought used) or heat up some salt (when new) until it turns brown. Dump salt/remove oven cleaner. Rinse hot. Put on stove. Dry over heat. Rub some oil over the inside. Heat some more on stove top. Use it. Rinse after use with hot water as needed. (I also take soap and a brillo pad to mine if needed.) Reapply seasoning if needed. All in all they get better with use. The seasoning thing is over-emphasized in my opinion. The less you worry about it the better is gets.

I do think seasoning matters for cast iron, even though it hasn't made a difference with my carbon pan. As soon as I stripped the rust off a Wagner cast iron pan (using the vinegar soak method), it started rusting. The initial thin seasoning really helps prevent that rust from forming.

Yes, it does matter. What I was trying to say is that some of the seasoning instructions border on voodoo. As a result people end up obsessing over it unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by clayton View Post
    I think the deBuyer patato skin thing is an inside joke at deBuyer. Only the English language instructions talk about them. All others omit the potato skins.
    Nah, my carbone plus came with French and English instructions and both mention the potato skins....

Mine came with a whole bunch of languages and German and Italian made no mention of potato skins. Will look for it tonight, but may already be in recycling.

Don't see anything here either regarding potatoes.

Mine had a plastic cover for the inside of the pan that had the seasoning instructions printed on the backside.