Quantcast
Carbon Pan Seasoniong Question + Pictures - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon Pan Seasoniong Question + Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by clayton View Post
    I think the deBuyer patato skin thing is an inside joke at deBuyer. Only the English language instructions talk about them. All others omit the potato skins.

The way I treat my steel and carbon pans is the same. Strip with oven cleaner (if bought used) or heat up some salt (when new) until it turns brown. Dump salt/remove oven cleaner. Rinse hot. Put on stove. Dry over heat. Rub some oil over the inside. Heat some more on stove top. Use it. Rinse after use with hot water as needed. (I also take soap and a brillo pad to mine if needed.) Reapply seasoning if needed. All in all they get better with use. The seasoning thing is over-emphasized in my opinion. The less you worry about it the better is gets.
    The potato skin thing has nothing to do with seasoning the pan,but rather to clean the pan of any industrial wax or coating(to protect the surface) applied before shipping the pan.
    The more you use your pan,the more non stick it will become,just don't plan on deglazing with it.

Here you go[IMG][/IMG]

I have six Mineral De Buyer pans. 14", 10" and 8" skillets, 9" country pan. I've had them for a few years. The potato peels are not the way to season this pan. Old wives-tale.

1.) Scrub pan prior to seasoning with a harsh abrasive. I used bartenders friend. this is the only and last time you should use any sort of detergent. Get that baby shinny clean with lots of hot water, be quick and dry it immediately then put on stove 1/2 filled with high-heat oil (NOT Canola) I used grapeseed. Heat the pan up it up until the oil shimmers. Then shut off heat and let sit until cool. Discard oil.

Think of the pan's like carbon knives. Just like a knife, you want to build patina evenly and over several cookings. If not it will just build up and the flake off, leaving clean unsealed carbon that will absolutely rust.

Also, when cleaning, designate one brush to these pans. You should never use soap to clean these babies. I just wash the grease and cooked food off with hot water and designated nylon brush then, light paper towel dry, then put on a hot burner for about one minute. I have a pot rack to I just hang them up while still warm. If you guys are interested I'll take some photos of my pans.

I'm afraid that ptolemy has over seasoned his pan. thats why the bottom seasoning flaked off and is clean now and the side has an enameled oil on them. the pan is not ruined but you will have to cook with them until it until the enameled oil flakes off.

update. after about 5-10 uses.

What do you think of it so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinob1 View Post
    What do you think of it so far?
    it's a better version of cast iron pan. love the long handle and how easy it cleans up. also it heats much faster than cast iron. the ultimate test would be making eggs and home fries that I make, by cubing potatoes and frying with onions and garlic.
    they would really stick on cast iron.

Not bad, keep using it--It'll only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
    it's a better version of cast iron pan. love the long handle and how easy it cleans up. also it heats much faster than cast iron. the ultimate test would be making eggs and home fries that I make, by cubing potatoes and frying with onions and garlic.
    they would really stick on cast iron.
    Ptolemy,

I make eggs and potatoes and onions all the time in my cast iron with no issues whatsoever. I think a lot of it comes down to the smoothness of the seasoning / pan.

I'm gonna have to break down and get one of these some day. Might mean the end of one of my 5 cast iron pans.

I will add that I really do want to pick up a carbon pan at some point in the future though.