Quantcast
Carbon Pan Seasoniong Question + Pictures - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Pan Seasoniong Question + Pictures

As I've been increasingly creeped out by nonstick pans, I've moved more and more towards other types. What's been surprising me is how nonstick these other types of pans actually are. I can cook just about anything in my carbon, cast iron, or enameled cast iron pans. Seriously--in my experience, things just slip around if you heat the pan well enough. Here's one method for seasoning you can check out if you're still interested: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

Made eggs today the way I like it. I call it kinda like open omelet, you drop eggs and then raise sides gently so raw egg can fall on the skillet to cook. No turning, no breaking, no folding, nothing

Cooked off some bacon, removed most of the grease; left just enough to coast the pan. It was pretty hot, lightly smoking.

Poured 3 eggs, added cheese, waited 30 seconds, gently raised sides. Another 30-45 seconds, took it off. Pictures show the progress.

Pan passed the egg test!

The eggs look great, butt boy is that an ugly pan!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

ugly is sometimes beautuful.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    The eggs look great, butt boy is that an ugly pan!
    Give it some nice
    We'll see where it is in a few month.

I decided to buy a mineral b de buyer 12.5 pan. Seasoned it per the instructions and cooked up bacon, potatoes, and eggs. The bacon and potatoes stuck on me a bit, but it was manageable. Frying the eggs was not bad at all, I hit the pan with some butter and I didn't have much sticking at all. Here is what the pan looks like now.

It will be black as night if you use it every day in like 3 months. Or you could use a turkey fryer or if you have access to a commercial hood and range and just add some lard (thin layer) and let it rip. it will blacken up to non stickish pretty quick that way.

Been using it the past two days and I'm starting to get some nice patina in the inside and outside. It is quickly becoming my favorite pan.

So is it a total no go to deglaze in this pan as another poster mentioned?? I like to make pan sauces and I just got an 10 inch skillet was planning on doing minute steaks with red wine and shallot sauce would that be ok ????

Quote Originally Posted by Moses the armenian View Post
    So is it a total no go to deglaze in this pan as another poster mentioned?? I like to make pan sauces and I just got an 10 inch skillet was planning on doing minute steaks with red wine and shallot sauce would that be ok ????
    You can do it if you have a really really nice and established cure on the pan but you will always be fighting to keep the skillet to retain that cure if you aren't using the pan for lots and lots of other things too. I have done it to great and tasty effect but it will flake off some carbon.