book - Japanese Kitchen knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that book. Goes over the three main single bevel knives: Usuba, Deba, and Yanigiba. Goes over proper posture, grip, and cutting techniques for each, and then offers a couple recipes (which I have yet to try) mixed in with each knife type. They go briefly into how to maintain the knives, but Jon's videos on sharpening far exceed what this book shows, though they do have some nice cross section pictures showing where all the parts are. If you're interested in borrowing it, let me know.

Pretty much what Taylor said. It's a well done book with nice pictures but for practical info Jon's videos (and Japanese Knife Society's) will be better.

I've studied all of Jon's vid's and have done some on-line seminars w/ him. All of the info he shares is excellent, and I defer to him as the expert. I was just wondering if this book is worth owning. My impression of it is in-line with what you guys are saying. Seems like it's worth the $20 just to have it as a reference.

Since this is be becoming a book thread. I bought Chad Ward's an edge in the kitchen. The professional chef, and McGee on food and cooking. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I just ordered the book. Funny I would have thought that more knivenuts on this forum would have gone ga-ga over this title? I mean, how many of you (except Jon) have actually studded as a apprentice under some San that knew how to properly cut with the knives we all cherish so much.

I was motivated to get is as I finally rounded out my collection now possessing quality ground Blue #2 Hon Kasumi Yanagiba 300, Deba 195 and Usuba 210 (I can even pronounce their names too :biggrin:)

We all know how uber-specialized these tools are, so don't you guys really want to understand and maximize the shape? Just because you can make by hand lustful big dollar knives, doesn't mean you know how to properly use them?

Other than a couple of decent videos (again thanks Jon), their aint much out there to demonstrate how to use the Usuba correctly. I know it will cut sheets of root-vegetables and mince herbs, but don't ya think there is a little more that this profile is capable of? Know what I mean?

First chapter is about stance. he says stand parallel to the cutting board, then take a 1/2 step back with right foot (left if lefty). Brilliant but not intuitive or common sense information. How many of you always use the same shoes, cutting board, same table every time you cut? Are they firm soles or squishy sneakers? Everybody wants to talk about this and that hand grip. Its good stuff but there is way more all of us can learn about the best way to use these tools.

I really don't have a point, just curious about others point of view on immaculate knife execution?

I'm already a pedant on many other subjects. I'd much rather just be barefoot and care-free in the kitchen.

:p :D

I think many people here already have had the book for a while. I got it on recommendation from here a while ago. it isn't essential though in my opinion

... their aint much out there to demonstrate how to use the Usuba correctly. I know it will cut sheets of root-vegetables and mince herbs, but don't ya think there is a little more that this profile is capable of? Know what I mean?

No, not really. It's such a specialized knife, it does amazing work for what it's designed for, but for anything else, it's either mediocre at best or useless. Outside of katsuramuki and ken cuts, there's nothing it can do that a gyuto can't do equally well, or better. Took me a long time to accept this. Of all knives, I'm most obsessed with usuba.

btw - I ordered a copy of the book weeks ago f/ Amazon, and it hasn't shipped yet... go figure... :eyebrow:

Bought it a while ago and read it before I bought any single bevels, is an interesting read but I find it easier to understand techniques by watching vids and through the discussions here.

I found the instruction on how to use a deba very useful. It's what got me started on fileting fish, and I think it was more useful than the videos I had found online up to that point. Since then, I've come across some videos that I find helpful for me to improve but I don't think those videos would have been as good a way for me to get started.

itasan18's videos are great tutorials. I really wish there were English translations on the commentary though.

Damn. I've had it on backorder for a few weeks.

Hello,

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

Hiromitsu Nozaki, et al "Japanese Kitchen Knives: Essential Techniques and Recipes"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days. If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers. Please visit the detail page for this item below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/4770030762/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you took advantage of a promotional offer when placing this order, this cancellation may affect your order's eligibility for that offer. If this is the case, please contact customer service:

http://www.amazon.com/contact-us

For more details about the status of this order, please visit the "Your Account" page:

http://www.amazon.com/your-account

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
http://www.amazon.com
==============================

Last edited by a moderator:
I love these threads... and hate them... When you have over 400 cookbooks and move frequently... you get the picture :p

I'm so glad I already have most of these book lol

I still read Chad's book on occation as it's just fun to read. Nozaki's book just gets me in trouble (in a good way) :p

No, not really. It's such a specialized knife, it does amazing work for what it's designed for, but for anything else, it's either mediocre at best or useless. Outside of katsuramuki and ken cuts, there's nothing it can do that a gyuto can't do equally well, or better. Took me a long time to accept this. Of all knives, I'm most obsessed with usuba.

btw - I ordered a copy of the book weeks ago f/ Amazon, and it hasn't shipped yet... go figure... :eyebrow:

When I bought my first Usuba off Korin (left-handled special order even) I tried to use it like I would a nakiri. Doesn't work. Lot of books and articles try to lump the two styles together but they are wrong. A usuba is a very specialized tool and a nakiri is a very general purpose one.

Damn. I've had it on backorder for a few weeks.

I got the same e-mail after a chat session w/ Amazon. Someone else snagged the book right before I ordered it. Dang!

I sold my copy of this book...could someone help me out with the recipe for the sardines with cheese on bread?

Its in the section on filleting fish please!!

I sold my copy of this book...could someone help me out with the recipe for the sardines with cheese on bread?

Its in the section on filleting fish please!!

4c607d84.jpg

Latest posts

Back