To Deba or Not to Deba--That is the question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going on my annual offshore fishing trip in NC. If the past is a window to the future, i'm going to have a lot of medium to large fish to fillet. Last year we brought in about 30 grouper (20 to 35 pounds), amber jecks, large red-snapper and some some Dolphin (Mahi Mahi) too. I've been butchering fish my whole life and know fish anatomy pretty well. In the past i've used a variety of tools from flexible-american style fillet knifes to long salmon knives to chef knives.

All have pro/cons. so this year, I'm considering adding a Deba. I was looking for a 180 to 210 in White #2. CKTG has a 180 Torojo in white for about $99 that i'm considering. Open to suggestions.

Those that are butchering whole fish, what are you using? I have lots of knives and most Japanese but have yet to own a Deba. I was just thinking about using my 210 Chef Choice Trizor knife. Its made a a very nice stainless and holds an edge for a long time. What are you guys using.

photo.jpg

Well I'm old school and still like a trusty old Rapala. IIR there were some decent Debas for a good price coming off eBay in the past but I can't recall the vendors. Nice catch of fish! We usually hit the OBX for Tuna and trip time is getting close for this year.
Best of luck this season!

Dave

I do lots of fish too and have used a variety of knives as well and I'm definitely getting a traditional Deba soon. For larger fish and for skinning and portioning fish I use a 270mm mioroshi deba. I also have a 275mm flexible filet knife from global that works great on skate wing too. But for smaller guys (sub 25lbs) I want at least a 195mm Deba. For me that would be perfect for the Florida grouper, Chatham cod, smaller snapper, branzini etc. That's going to be my next knife purchase this year. I'm leaning towards the Gesshin Hide 195mm Deba in Blue#1. Held it in my hands at the food show and it was really really nice.

I would definitely recommend a Deba; the feeling and sensation is just not the same with any other knife. I don't think you'll be going back after using one. It's really a remarkable piece of architecture, using a knife that's very heavy like an axe yet with a one-sided edge that can get extremely sharp. I always need a deba and I always consider it the "heart" of my knife set.

I don't do the fish prep n the group but I am always for helping someone spend money: deba

I've got 210mm version. It's not a bad deba, good tough steel (for a white). Mine came slightly warp though; for the budget, can't complain much. Keiichi's service has been great for me. But if I am buying a new deba from him, probably would opt for blue #2 line.

If you carefully look at the back stamp and lamination line of this Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni both white #2, and blue #2 lines, you may notice that it is very similar to Monzaburo white #2 and blue #2 lines (check pictures at a frames). May be, or may not be from the same craftsmen.

schanop thanks for the tip. I just sent Keiichi an e-mail inquiring. You have a keen eye, I do believe that the chop is the same engraving from Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni. I asked him that too. Will post my findings. I asked him to sell me a 195mm Deba in Blue #2 with an octagonal Magnolia/Black Buffalo ferrule handle, with says and name engraving. We'll see if he can come up with that config.

ThEoRy indeed that Gesshin looks killer but at five bones I can't justify it as my first Deba. Others have commented that you are the man to consulting about the Deba. I am honored to have your feedback.

So I've asked Keiichi from BluewayJapan to sell me a 195MM in Blue #2 with magnolia/black buffalo ferrule octagonal handle and saya. He might be able to do that knife for me for around $200?

What do you think about that configuration? Also seems like most of the Deba's come with round or d handles. Why is that? Cost? Would be octagonal be more advantageous? thanks again for your feedback.

Guys, so i'm going to pull the trigger on this Deba. I promised not disclose the exact price but it was less than $10,000 and more than $249.99 :wink:

195MM Deba in Blue #2 Hon Kasumi (Choi and Spine rounded) from Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni with magnolia octagonal handle with black buffalo ferrule with Saya and name engraving.

How did I do?

Guys, so i'm going to pull the trigger on this Deba. I promised not disclose the exact price but it was less than $10,000 and more than $249.99 :wink:

195MM Deba in Blue #2 Hon Kasumi (Choi and Spine rounded) from Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni with magnolia octagonal handle with black buffalo ferrule with Saya and name engraving.

How did I do?

Gotta see the knife (in person) before we can say for sure :biggrin: Sounds like you did pretty well to me.

Sounds like you got a good deal on a nice knife.

Dave

I'm considering buying a 180mm deba from Heiji using his SDK11. Does anyone have experience with this? I originally had my eye on the Suisin Inox Honyaki deba but I am about to pull the trigger on a Heiji gyuto so...

I never thought I'd like a deba, but I've been rocking a beefy blue steel tanaka 210mm, and been having loads of fun with it. If I had piles of wonderful fresh fish, like in the picture, I'd be gitty to use the deba.

Please post some pics of your new deba in use...

I need a deba - said it before - might say it again :D

Back