Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something different!

That's a cool looking knife. I'm always up for learning something new. Why don't you see if the new owners will do a video of them using the tip in their work so we can understand their design.

Stunning, the San Mai is a work of art and the handle is flawless. The profile? Well like you said it was a custom order so if that's what she wanted she should be estatic. Hell if I had a knife that well executed in my kit I'd find ways to make it work cause it sure is a beauty.

It's interesting indeed, and making me stare at it.

The handle is marvelous, and so is the cladding.

If someone other than you and your son had made this knife, I would probably hate it on sight. For some reason I don't hate it. It is making me re-evaluate my qualitative prejudices, and making me consider if there is some sort of cyclical process of making and unmaking designs, even by thoughtful makers, and what that means, as well as what things could look like from the other side of the fence of strangely designed, yet well executed knives. If there were a kitchen knife art gallery, this would be in it.

If I were a wealthy man, I'd buy it and put it in a case in my study(I'd have a study). I'd stare with a glass of wine and go "hmmmmm" and be introspective.

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Mike, It was a request from a friend. She drew the design after using my Nakiri. And basically wanted to tweek a few things, Nakiri style with a little more swoop for rocking.

Its sharp all the way to the tip. what a PITA that was on the stones. lol It feels good on the board. and Im sure she will get lots of use from it in her home.
    Actually, there is a knife of this shape in existence. It's called pichok and it is used in Central Asia, particularly in Uzbekistan. Randy's looks like a variation of the shape.

Here is a traditional pichok. It is a kitchen knife. This shape seems to be popular in Russia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	272781.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	5834

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

it also has a very similar profile to some of the earliest everyday French knives, The knife was very popular throughout the middle ages up until now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Drop-point, full bolster, slight recurve kitchen knives. My world is upside down!

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    It's interesting indeed, and making me stare at it.

If I were a wealthy man, I'd buy it and put it in a case in my study(I'd have a study). I'd stare with a glass of wine and go "hmmmmm" and be introspective.

LMAO, Thats just funny stuff! Eamon your a riot!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Actually, there is a knife of this shape in existence. It's called pichok and it is used in Central Asia, particularly in Uzbekistan. Randy's looks like a variation of the shape.

Here is a traditional pichok. It is a kitchen knife. This shape seems to be popular in Russia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	272781.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	5834

That is similar. I still question how useful the tip actually is either..

Thank you Marko for posting the photo and info.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Candlejack, 99Limited, The hekler Thanks for the complements and comments.

I will ask about that Video 99.. Like I said I already asked for updates and photos or the blade. what harm is there in a short video?

Im VERY happy with the overall look of the steel on this one! I have a feeling that I will be making a few more blades with this style san Mai.

Availible Knives

That is a stunning knife, and I would hate to sharpen that tip. Looks less like something to use in the kitchen and more like something to make haste of animals in the wild. I have that French peasant knife, and you can still use the tip for some fine work, but that OP knife design seems limited except for stabbing and puncturing. I'd take that one into battle any day.

I think I might ask Randy to do a jambiya for me just to make things even more weird for him. The jambiya is made to curve under the rib cage and puncture the heart.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson