Quantcast
Something different!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something different!

Something different!

Hello and good day, I dont know what it would the profile would be considered. The blade is a High Carbon San Mai, Its a O-1 Core. damascus clading.

Thanks
    Randy

Thanks for looking and as always comments and critiques welcomed.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

What kind of wood is that handle made out of Randy? It looks neat!

Darren, The handle is African Blackwood, Mammoth ivory spacer and stabilized quilted maple.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Looks cool Randy, not sure what it is, but it looks good Love the san mai!!!

Mike, It was a request from a friend. She drew the design after using my Nakiri. And basically wanted to tweek a few things, Nakiri style with a little more swoop for rocking.

Its sharp all the way to the tip. what a PITA that was on the stones. lol It feels good on the board. and Im sure she will get lots of use from it in her home.

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Love the san mai! Very interesting profile. I love a good nakiri myself, though not sure I would find much use in the tip like that. Was thinking that that would be a cool butcher's knife, though I'm sure it might have to be a bit thicker. With that being said, a wonderful job all around.
    Taylor

Love the san mai and the handle. As fas as the profile, it looks like a giant butter knife

Dave, Thats just what it is!! A GIANT butter knife! with a silly sharp edge! The O-1 really took a great edge!! I see more O-1 core san mai in my future.

As to the knife profile.. When I was presented with the design, I was apprehensive about it. But after talking it through, looking at a few other Nakiri profiles.. They were sure this was what would work for her cutting style. There is a little more rock on the board then my last Nakiri. So its a bit less flat.

This was a fun project all in all. Im hoping to get some pictures of it after its built up a nice patina.. As well as a report to how the edge holds and overall performance.

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    Love the san mai! Very interesting profile. I love a good nakiri myself, though not sure I would find much use in the tip like that. Was thinking that that would be a cool butcher's knife, though I'm sure it might have to be a bit thicker. With that being said, a wonderful job all around.
    Thanks Taylor. I would have to agree totally that the tip wont be getting much or any use. lol As long as shes happy. Im happy.

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Absolutely stunning, the cladding looks almost like a map.
    And that handle. God.

+ Reply to Thread