Pressure Cooker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I got one as a gift and have no idea what to do with it. What those of you who use one find it the better alternative to say, copper pans?

M

i use my kuhn rikon mainly for making stock despite what cooks illustrated says i think it makes a great stock. i make large amts of soup. 3 qts water with celery carrot onion garlic parsley root and turnip at 15 lbs for an hour strain thru mafter bullion seive= veg stock.. then i take chicken feet and all the left over accumulated chicken parts 3 qts of water and some herbs for an hr on high strain and then mix the 2 stocks in a 3 gallon pot.. from that i make chicken soup and barley is my current favorite 'starch' .. pressure cooker does great with beets too .

I just started using mine for cooking beans, instead of soaking and cooking for an hour they go into the cooker and 25 minutes later are ready for whatever I'm making.

We cook everything in the pressure cooker. Beans, roasts, stews etc. Invaluable when living at altitude.

Fried chicken done in a pressure cooker comes out great. I've never tried it with mine, but I used to eat chicken done that way at a little restaurant back home and it was the best I've ever had. Another nice thing about doing it that way is it cooks fast.

I want one. Would love one at work for stocks. Growing up my mom cooked chicken and tongue in hers. Of course they are also great for canning. Me, I have always had a master plan for turning one into a still. :D

-AJ

I use mine primarily for making stock, a task at which it excels. Occasionally, if I'm in a big hurry, I'll do pork shoulders, short ribs, and the like. It's great at turning long braises into a comparatively quick task.

I use mine primarily for making stock, a task at which it excels. Occasionally, if I'm in a big hurry, I'll do pork shoulders, short ribs, and the like. It's great at turning long braises into a comparatively quick task.

Same here, I mostly use it for stews and soups that I then freeze away in portions. Nothing that you could not do in a dutch oven, it's just much faster. A very simple favorite is browning a few 'country pork ribs', adding plenty of sliced onions, some seasoning (paprika and marjoram for a more hungarian 'poerkoelt' version, sometimes it's just soy sauce, Woucestersauce etc) and a diced potato for binding. Cook for a good 20 minutes and serve with boiled potatoes or home made egg noodles. Sometimes I cook the meat until it's tender, throw in potatoes, carrots, pease etc., cook again for a few minutes for a one-pot stew in less than half the normal time. Still have canning on my list, but haven't gotten around to it, yet.

Stefan

Back