My NKD (New Knife Day)...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereo.pete

Reaction score
Going along with K-Fed's thread title I wanted to share what I received in the mail. I've been into the hobby/obsession of Japanese kitchen cutlery for about two years now but had yet to own a traditional single bevel knife. One of my good friends just opened his very first sushi restaurant and while eating I asked to see what he was using for his sashimi knife. He pulled out the yanigaba and much to my surprise I instantly recognized the kanji as a Masamoto. Right then and there I decided that it was ridiculous of me not to own a yanigaba.

After reading a ton of threads here and checking out my favorite knife vendors I decided to give Jon over at JKI a call and chatted with him about what to get. I wasn't surprised when he recommended the Yoshihiro since I was just starting out and not looking to spend a great deal of money in case I messed the blade up while sharpening. We decided to go with a Yoshihiro 270mm White #2 yanagiba and since I had no course stone (I'm using a shapton pro 1000, 2000 and 5000), I decided to also pick up a Gesshin 400. Jon was great to work with over the phone and I plan on talking to him again when I go to sharpen this knife.

Packaging was fantastic with Jon's attention to detail and his shipping was very fast, I ordered it on Wednesday and it arrived today. Well enough text, here are the photos...

img1db.jpg

By chicagopete at 2012-04-07

img2qf.jpg

img3ohg.jpg

img4ce.jpg

img5nx.jpg

img6ar.jpg

img8w.jpg

It does not suck to be you .
really nice and look at the nice wrapping.

Ditto what everyone else has said! Also, you got some photo skills too pete!

Congrats on the pick up! Let me know what you think of it, I want to pick up a yanagi some time soon and have been looking at that one...seems like a nice starter

Grats on the knife! I have a Yoshihiro myself that I purchased from Jon, very interested to see what you think of it. I also got use that gesshin 400 today and liked it a lot.

Awesome. Have got to love that feeling when these packages show up at the door. My next yanagi will probably be a yoshi as I don't get the oppertunity to use it often at work and would have a hard time justifying spending a ton on it, also the gesshin 400 is an awesome coarse stone. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

This is just making me even more pumped for my yanagi to arrive on Monday. Almost wish I could just take off work to play with it all day. :spiteful:

Thanks for the compliments, I'm hoping to have time to sharpen it for the first time on Tuesday, I will let you all know how it goes. P.S. The photos are more the camera than me, I am currently using a Canon T3i but have no idea what I am doing with it and just leave it in auto mode and start snapping.

Update: Jon spent an hour and a half with me this past Wednesday teaching me how to sharpen my first single bevel knife and I have to thank him for his patience as well as his excellent teaching skills. Long story short, I still need a lot of practice but here are the results of the first session. Keep in mind, the stones used were a Gesshin 400, Shapton Pro 1000 and finally a Shapton Pro 5000. I quickly discovered the limitations of my Shapton Pro 5000 and will be ordering a couple of different stones when they arrive. P.S. The 5000 completely sucks for single bevels...

Results, let me know what you think, areas that need work, total mess ups, etc etc, thanks.

k11z.jpg

By chicagopete at 2012-04-21

k12y.jpg

k13f.jpg

k14zi.jpg

k15qh.jpg

k16o.jpg

k17k.jpg

k18yy.jpg

k19m.jpg

Special thanks go out to Jon again for incredible customer service while purchasing and legendary aftercare as well. Thanks!

Back