Take the Takagi Challenge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
We all know the last giveaway was a honyaki Takagi. Great looking knife especially in thanks to all those on the forum that touched and contributed to it. And I'm not jealous at all that I didn't win it !!!!!!!Anyhoo, I want to know more about this maker.
I came across someone selling a Takohiki on Ebay that was stamped with "Made in Occupied Japan" . The seller actually claimed that it said Akagi(which was a Japanese ship sunk at the battle of Midway) and was from said ship. Well, that's BS because the ship was sunk long before the occupation began.
I also saw someone on the other forum that had a Nakiri his father in law gave to him, also with the "Made in Occupied Japan" stamp. This one had a copper ferrule.
How long has the Nakiri been in existence?
The Takohiki/biki
The Takagi brothers that make the knives and tools now would've been really young teens at the time of the occupation. Are these their knives?
Is there a heritage of knifemaking in their lineage?
Is this possibly another knifemaker by the Takagi name?
It's the inner nerd in me that needs to know. I've googled until blood has poured from my eyes, all to no avail.
Can somebody help me out?
Don't worry, I won't send you "The Bizarro Knife"
Thx, knerd

I love your profile picture, one of my favorite movies.

We all know the last giveaway was a honyaki Takagi. Great looking knife especially in thanks to all those on the forum that touched and contributed to it. And I'm not jealous at all that I didn't win it !!!!!!!Anyhoo, I want to know more about this maker.
I came across someone selling a Takohiki on Ebay that was stamped with "Made in Occupied Japan" . The seller actually claimed that it said Akagi(which was a Japanese ship sunk at the battle of Midway) and was from said ship. Well, that's BS because the ship was sunk long before the occupation began.
I also saw someone on the other forum that had a Nakiri his father in law gave to him, also with the "Made in Occupied Japan" stamp. This one had a copper ferrule.
How long has the Nakiri been in existence?
The Takohiki/biki
The Takagi brothers that make the knives and tools now would've been really young teens at the time of the occupation. Are these their knives?
Is there a heritage of knifemaking in their lineage?
Is this possibly another knifemaker by the Takagi name?
It's the inner nerd in me that needs to know. I've googled until blood has poured from my eyes, all to no avail.
Can somebody help me out?
Don't worry, I won't send you "The Bizarro Knife"
Thx, knerd

According to JWW, Takagi Junichi, the one famous for making adzes and the honyaki blue #1 knives, was born in 1937, started apprenticing in 1952 and finished in 1955. The allied powers occupied Japan from the end of WWII to ~1952, so the knife had to have been made in between 1945 and 1952. So no, I don't think Takagi Junichi made the knife. It is possible that the older brother, Takagi Toshio, made the knife as he was already working as a blacksmith by the time Junichi finished his apprenticeship.

Back