Stefan's What's on the bench?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
I like Dave's and Marko's threads with info about the pieces they are working on, so I am borrowing that idea... Here is what I am working on right now - or better: the ones that should be finished soon. Please keep in mind that there is a complete list of all ordered handles and their current status right here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tYUJ3eEpRZnBueHc&hl=en&authkey=CNvc0_MG#gid=0 You can see that they are not made strictly in the order of the list. That is partly because I had older orders that I just added later to the list, in other cases I was waiting for materials or just bundled a few together that were very similar to make. Btw, sometimes a handle shows progress on the list and then suddenly is at an earlier stage again - that is usually the case if something goes wrong and I have to correct or start over (e.g. on 2 handles I discovered cracks in the horn when they were already shaped, one handle came out great but for some reason I made it 15mm too short etc).

So, just a quick heads up for the handles that will get done this week. Some of you may not even remember having ordered them...

B Crano
M Dauer
JC Richer
Rio (2x)
Noah
Karl
Bob C
Matt R
Kentucky Chef (2x)
Judd
Yash P.

I will try taking pics of them tomorrow, they are all done except for applying a few layers of finish to them. I will fly out to PA for a week on Friday and may be able to send some out before I leave. If you want it fast, please let me know, otherwise I will send whatever I don't get to after April 22.

There are a few D-shaped handles on my list which for some reason drove me nuts this time, but they should be done around the end of April also. Because of my trip (for a job interview and I added a few days to it) I will loose 2 work weekends, but my goal is still to get everything on my list done by the end of May. That's ambitious, but we'll see... Btw, there will also be a few extras that I will probably have early in May.

Thanks,

Stefan

P.S. I will try to contact everyone in that list above, but if you see it, please check in with me, preferably through my email customorders at japanesehandles.com. And if someone has given up on this, changed his mind or bought something else because it took so long, no problem, just let me know...

Stefan

Hi, just as a follow-up: Everything that has been paid has been shipped. Right now I am working on handles for Jim, Rick O., Emanuel, and Philip and expect to have them finished this coming weekend. More will follow shortly, a whole bunch of handles are in the sanding phase right now.

Stefan

O.k., I lied in my last post. But I'm working on it. There is actually a chance that I may get all piled-up orders done eventually... Here's what I am working on while everyone else is surfing:

All are orders except for 3,4,5 in the bottom row. Some are currently getting finish applied, others need final sanding and then finish, so they should all look a bit more impressive when done. I have been known to do stupid things and mess them up in the last minute, but if all goes well, the handles for the following people should be ready for shipping next week:

Jim (3 handles)
Emanuel (I have kind of given up, you gotta take what have in kauri or I'll make a koa one next week...)
Philip (2 handles)
Patrick O. (8 handles)
Chris
Andy M. (2 handles)
Cody (2 handles)
James C.
Joshua V.
Tu Tran (2 handles)

The blacker they are, the longer they take into next week because I add a few more layers of finish to those compared to the stabilized wood ones. Next week I am also hoping to move forward with the ones for Mike, Zach, Rob, Scott, Sean, James B. and then I have to see what I can get done. But I am still trying to get those all out eventually... Oh, there are some that had been ordered where people either haven't responded anymore (cant blame'em after such a long time...) or it is still unclear what they would like. If you think you might be one of them, please check my work list at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...authkey=CNvc0_MG&hl=en&authkey=CNvc0_MG#gid=0 . I will also try again to follow up with everyone who's handles come up, but if you see this, you can also send me an email, preferably to customorders at japanesehandles.com

Thanks,

Stefan

Still on schedule. All the ones that are listed above should get done this week, but some probably on Sunday. Since I am also packing for a move, I would like to pack them all up on Sunday and ship on Monday. I also got started on the next batch that I had mentioned, and I updated my order list accordingly.

Stefan

Back