Quantcast
Need Help with a family dinner - Pulled Pork - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Need Help with a family dinner - Pulled Pork

Just slow roasted some pork for tacos. Rubbed, rested, slow roasted for 12 hours at 225, rested again. Even though it isn't smoked you can still create a nice crust.

much more awesomer
    The point of any cole slaw at a deli or diner is to have an acidic palate-cleanser to complement the rich foods. Avoid creamy slaw at all costs. A simple New York or Montreal deli-style slaw is a sure bet. We used to make a standard Montreal deli slaw at the BBQ chicken place I worked at as a kid. I tried to do the math to reduce this down from high-volume restaurant use (in delis and rotisseries, vinegar coleslaw is a staple side dish). You'll still need a large food processor, or you can practice some of your knife skills your favorite big blade. We never used sweet peppers in ours at work, but they do add interest. You decide:

1 cabbage head (about 3 lbs)
    3-4 carrots, coarsely grated
    1-2 peppers -- optional -- (try three halves of different colours)
    1 onion, finely chopped -- again, optional, and I leave it out -- (or green onions, single bunch, or one full, large French shallot)

Marinade:

1/2 cup sugar -- seriously
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    2 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 cup oil (the plainer the better, like canola or safflower)

Place shredded vegetables in a large bowl. Combine ingredients for marinade in a saucepan and heat to near-boiling -- once the sugar and salt are dissolved, you're good to go. Pour marinade over coleslaw mixture and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours, then check for seasoning. Adjust salt, pepper and garlic to taste, but avoid adding more vinegar -- it gets more tart with time. If you added more seasoning, put back in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

GREAT THREAD GUYS & GALS !

Thanks for all the tips...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinob1 View Post
    I cannot find that recipe, do you have a link?
    Here ya go... it seems pretty simple. My wife and I are planning to try this within the next couple weeks.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...code=M**ASCA00

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    Just slow roasted some pork for tacos. Rubbed, rested, slow roasted for 12 hours at 225, rested again. Even though it isn't smoked you can still create a nice crust.
    OMG that looks awesome. Can you give the details/recipe? I'd love to try that in tacos!

So how'd the cook go?

Sadly it didn't. My dinner plans were vetoed in favor of eating out at http://www.bucadibeppo.com/. It was my wife's birthday, so I was happy to comply. However this meal is still on my radar, but now I won't have the family pressures to worry about and I can take my time.

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

But on keeping the wife happy. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Awwwww.

+ Reply to Thread