Pics of last weeks produce

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
So I wanted a cleaver to check things out.
Whats better way then buy destroyed blade and show it a little TLC?

When it came I thought grinding would be tough but... it is san mai... all non stainless.
I paid 40 bucks postage included, and round another 10 for handle wood.

I dont know how many hours I spent, Mind that I only have hand tools and two clamps :spiteful:

100_3804.jpg

100_3802.jpg

100_3801.jpg

100_3720.jpg

100_3714.jpg

100_3687.jpg

100_3690-1.jpg

100_3703.jpg

100_3682.jpg

I also made few sheaths.
I got the wood for next to nothing, but quite nice oak.
The rest is just hands and sanding paper. I agree that those arent the best finished ones, but I found out that in a pro environment woods life aint easy:laugh:
So its no point for me to really spend extra time on them, its good enough for me.

100_3760.jpg

I really like the shape of this one, its so long and rounded

100_3762.jpg

100_3763.jpg

100_3770.jpg

100_3776.jpg

100_3777.jpg

100_3778.jpg

100_3784.jpg

PS: All those pins keeping blade inside are made by hand, just me sitting with little knife and carving them out of wood. All are different.

You have some skills, I'm loving that cleaver, where did you get it from?

that is realy nice work :D impressed, i wish i had the patience and skill to do things like that

Nice work. What did you carve the cavities with? I've done it with a knife but it takes a loooong time even for a little knife.

Big fun! A nice batch of work!

?produce! I thought it was a thread about veggies :newhere::D

Very nice woodwork, thanks for posting.

Thanks guys!

Pete, simply ebay. Every now and then I see great deals there, although Im getting more into rakuten now.

DK Chef, for me kitchen, martial arts and woodwork are closely connected. Kitchen shows me how to work fast under great stress, martial allows me to increase body control, learn how to stay focused while relaxing, and woodwork... well I believe wood shows me what patience and "tranquility" is. I have a great respect towards wood, its alive, just like produce in the kitchen. Plus I like to make things myself.

Heirkb, I just used chisels I managed to borrow from my father, They are old russian monsters with plastic, black handles and blades of some carbon steel. Get very sharp.

It didnt take that long, in the one for Hiromoto [where I would hollow both parts of the wood] it took max two hours. Talking strictly scooping out excess material, not sanding.

BobCat, it is a produce. Its alive

I have found photos of the cleaver before I attacked it.

543609109_tp.jpg

543609165_tp.jpg

543609130_tp.jpg

35 bucks

Wow, the transformation on that cleaver is BADASS. Is it clad or is the contrast just patina?

that is new patina on the cleaned up side. Love what you did. Did you use just fine sand paper, or did you go through a series of them?

Thanks folks :)

This is cladded blade, I didnt know until I polished it, the core is quite hard, sharpens well and doesnt react as much as cladding.

Crothcipt I grinded using Skil grinder with belts 40-320[its a small hobby-use machine so no higher grit belts for that one], after that just a little while with wet sandpapers 400 and 600.

Anyone ca recognise the maker?

Latest posts

Back