Does anybody know what Steel/s are used in Chef Choice kitchen knives (Trizor)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know most of us on this forum have some very fancy knives that we cherish. I also know that many on this forum strongly prefers Japanese Knives to Classical European knives. I understand that because I also cherish my knives and perfer J-knives to E-knives. That being said, I have one European fat-belly Chef Knife that I can't let go.

But my question is: Does anybody know what Chef Choices knives are made from? What steel do they use? I've gone through at least 70 knives in the past five years (almost all J-knives). My current collection is down to about 50 knives or so with about 20 "general purpose knives" including the 8" Chef Choice chef knife.

I'll tell you that this knife get almost as sharp as the J-knives but is completely stainless and holds and edge like a mofo.

Does anybody know what they are made of?

TKS DP

Chad Ward, author of "An Edge in the Kitchen," did an interview with Chef's Choice owner Daniel Friel Sr, and was given the formula for their proprietary "Trizor" steel. He said it was "very close, if not identical" to CM154.

References here and here.

The wealth of information found on this forum from its' members never ceases to amaze me.

Back