faverot tater peelers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l r harner

Banned
Reaction score
i am looking for a new peeler and i wanted ot see what you guys were happy with

Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler - 3 for less than $11.

51paiHIXq-L._AA1000_.jpg

+1, great little peeler.
I peel everything with this,from spuds to butternut squash....

+1 on what Pensacola sez, not a better performing peeler out there. And you can't beat the deal either.

ok but what abot the other stylkew peeler (the one im used to )
you use it liek a paring knife

you talking about the ones that you hold to the side? i have no clue since i havent used one in years.

Butch, you won't miss the other style when you use these. I used to be partial to the other kind, but these are great.

ok but what abot the other stylkew peeler (the one im used to )
you use it liek a paring knife

I was looking up peeler recommendations a while back and there was much love for the OXO goodgrips.

ok snd what ones can i replace the cutter with better steel or at least get a good sharp edge on

Not sure you'd need to. For peelers I went ceramic and never looked back.

-AJ

+1 Kuhn Rikon. I tried a ceramic and broke the blade 2 minutes into carrots. I was being a bit forceful though I suppose. I also love the Rosenhaus Swisspro.

I have an old henkels peeler that I like alot for peeling--but the pointy bit on the end isn't very good for digging out eyes and nasty bits. I don't think they even make my particular model any more.

i jsut use a parer to get the syes out so im not sure i need one that has an eye remover thingy

Hmmm...i gotta try that kuhn rikon, because I hate y-shaped peelers. I like the paring knife style ones.

Peeler? I use a knife every chance I get. I need to keep my skills up. :)

Rosle

End of story.

I've tried many others, including oxo, and they all suck compared to the Rosle peelers (although the oxo's are pretty good, Rosle is other level). I have the julienne peeler, swivel peeler crosswise, and swivel peeler extra fine. I'd rather have the standard swivel peeler vs the extra fine though. The julienne peeler does quick work of daikon, carrots, etc. for spring rolls, but the cuts are far from clear, it's just that they're fine and it's so convenient & fast. The real gem is the swivel peeler crosswise - unbelievable good at anything large like potatoes, sweet potatoes, apples, butternut squash, etc.

And you can take the blade out to replace or sharpen it (neither of which I've done).

Rosle makes the best kitchen tools, utensils, etc. Period. ;)-

+1 to the Rikon. Cheap, and comes with a pretty sharp carbon steel blade.

I use something very similar to the Rikon peeler but am looking for a small parer, I can peel with one of these little things much faster than I could with a knife but any excuse for another knife lol.

Rosle

End of story.

Truth.

I purchased the Rosle crosswise peeler based on Gator's review, and I've been more than extremely happy with its performance, and love the idea of being able to sharpen it. Previously had a Kyocera ceramic one that was pretty good, but this blows it out of the water.

I have never used a Rosle peeler, but based on their other products, I would imagine their peelers kick ass. I am going to get some and try em out.

Those Kuhn Rikon ones are terrible. There is a reason they are 3 for $11 and you can get generic ones for even less than that. The blades pop out, the plastic breaks, they are practically disposable.

I prefer the traditional shape, but the crosswise ones are handy sometimes.

I guess it's a case of YMMV, as I've had the same Kuhn Rikon in my kitchen for over a year - the blade has yet to pop out and it hasn't yet broken. It's still peeling like a champ. In a pro environment it may be a whole different experience.

Anyway, since Butch said later on that he wants to be able to sharpen his, and that he wants a straight peeler, not a crosswise one, I would agree that Rosle is the best choice for him.

Rick

I have never used a Rosle peeler, but based on their other products, I would imagine their peelers kick ass. I am going to get some and try em out.

Those Kuhn Rikon ones are terrible. There is a reason they are 3 for $11 and you can get generic ones for even less than that. The blades pop out, the plastic breaks, they are practically disposable.

I prefer the traditional shape, but the crosswise ones are handy sometimes.

I guess it's a case of YMMV, as I've had the same Kuhn Rikon in my kitchen for over a year - the blade has yet to pop out and it hasn't yet broken. It's still peeling like a champ. In a pro environment it may be a whole different experience.

This is true. I personally have never broken one. I have had the blade pop out on me after someone else already wore it out and I have seen others break the frames. But we go through them at work. We get a few new ones every month or two.

Back