Recommedations for a Yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birnando

Reaction score
I would love to have you guys, with all your collective experience, help me out a bit in picking a Yanagiba(single bevel).

I'm thinking about a 300mm one, as that size seems ok to me and what I intend to use it for.
Making Sushi, cutting fish like Salmon, and generally present soft foods in a good way, with a good tool for the job.

I'm also kind of a traditionalist, and would prefer steels that reflects that. No Space-age fancy-schmansy stuff for me!
Also, in that same train of thought, for this particular knife, I am going for a Japanese maker.

As for finish, I do confess to liking the rustic look of a Kuro-Uchi, but that is no must.
Those of you who know me from SRP might have seen me mentioning an affinity for Pattern welded, Wootz and Suminagashi steels;)

Handle material would have to be a traditional Japanese one, which I think is called a WA? Octagonal shape anyway..

As a rookie in the game of JKnifes, I'm really having too many choices right now, and lots of stuff to read up on, so any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a chef or anything, I just like cooking for my little family of four, and do prefer proper tools.
Another little factor to narrow choices down a bit is that I am left-handed.

The last thing to mention would be budget I guess.
I haven't really given that much thought really, but for the sake of argument, lets settle on anything less than a grand say.

Thanks for reading this long winded post, and for any and all help you guys could provide.

A Grand? OH My nice neighborhood. I think that the opens up a world of possibilities. Its probably not costly enough for you but for about $250, I bought a Kobayashi Hontan Seikon Dojo Yanagiba Bocho (one has to say the name it really fast, in a Japanese accent to really appreciate it {GRIN}).

Its Hon Kasumi finished, in Blue #2 and has an exceptional grind with very low and high spots.

You could spend more but for a knife that will likely get little use, i'd say add some other toold to your kit cause at the end of the day, it aint going to cut any better that this Yangi. Just my two cents

Heh, that was a fancy name indeed:)
As to the cost of the knife, I do not mind at all paying less than what stipulated in the OP. Not at all.
Thanks for the recommendation :)

I'm sure you'll get many more "qualified" opinions than mine but for what its worth I was willing to spend $500-700 on a Yanagi and eventually went for a "professional" 270mm white steel Yanagi from Shinichi Watanabe - fantastic service no tax (took 3 days to deliver to Uk from Japan!) and a knife that again from my limited experience I could'nt wish for any more; great fit and finish perfectly ground blade that was razor sharp out of the box (shaved hair effortlessly). The money I saved will go towards another Gyuto and parer.

Just remember guys he has to add about 40-50% more cost for being evil.. I mean uhh left handed.

I'm a lefty but learnt to use my right hand for when I needed to work with carpentry tools so for single bevelled knives saves me money lol, doesn't take all that much practice either to become proficient.

I'm sure you'll get many more "qualified" opinions than mine but for what its worth I was willing to spend $500-700 on a Yanagi and eventually went for a "professional" 270mm white steel Yanagi from Shinichi Watanabe - fantastic service no tax (took 3 days to deliver to Uk from Japan!) and a knife that again from my limited experience I could'nt wish for any more; great fit and finish perfectly ground blade that was razor sharp out of the box (shaved hair effortlessly). The money I saved will go towards another Gyuto and parer.

That was a very fine looking knife, and a great web-site too.
I'll have a thorough look at it!

Just remember guys he has to add about 40-50% more cost for being evil.. I mean uhh left handed.

Well, thruth be told I am ambidextrous, but are gonna go with the left hand version. I prefer to work and throw with my left, and to write with my right.
If I have to adjust my original budget to accommodate that, then so be it.

I'm a lefty but learnt to use my right hand for when I needed to work with carpentry tools so for single bevelled knives saves me money lol, doesn't take all that much practice either to become proficient.

That's a good idea:)
I have preferences as to what hand does what in everyday life, but have no issues using the other when needed be.

Gesshin Hide 300mm Blue #1 Yanagiba. I'm sure Jon can order you a lefty version:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...in-hide-300mm-blue-1-hon-kasumi-yanagiba.html

A lovely knife it seems. In fact, I have already mailed him inquiring about that one after reading good things about it on here.
Thanks!

That's what I was going to suggest as well.

Have you ever sharpened a single-bevel kitchen knife?

No, no single bevel knifes. I do hone my regular knifes and also my straight razors, including kamisori's. But, I'm gonna have to learn the single bevel knifes.

I vote for Shigefusa Kitaeji

Shigefusa seems to be a popular brand around here, that will definitely make the short list.
I'm also eyeing a Masamoto thingy.

Great responses guys, thanks a lot!
I seem to have quite a lot to read up on, I look forward to that!

Back