Quantcast
BBQ sauce theory - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBQ sauce theory

No tomatoes in a lot of vinegar sauces.

None in white bbq sauce, either.

Gotta go along with that Eastern NC school. Most memorable 'Q' I ever had was in Spivey's Corner about 25 years ago.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

The main thing I was getting at was that if you are making a BBQ sauce, and calling it a BBQ sauce, and it's sweet and tart and nothing else, you failed miserably.

I've eaten more than one "BBQ Sauce" that is pungent and sweet, and got nothing else going for it(hello, gourmet food store "habenero pineapple red wine jalapeno peach sauce"). I've also had many a coworker make a sauce and say "this needs something...fix it" and it's got no tartness at all, and they've heaped on the heat and the trick flavorings, and forgot to add any kind of acid other than what few tomatoes remain in it.

Whether you have tomatoes or not, and even if the smoke comes from the meat it gets put on(though why deprive the sauce of some smokey love?), it's gotta have the fantastic four! Or else you are serving smoked meat and a spicy syrup, hot vinegar, or a fancy ass ketchup.

One of the characteristics I like in a good sauce is the time dimension. I like a sauce that starts out with a sharp vinegar tang(cider/wine/balsamic), which then fades into sweet(brown sugar/Honey/molasses) while developing its complexity(worcestershire/garlic/candied ginger/black pepper) finishing with a lingering heat (various chiles/hot sauce/chili oil). Bourbon rounds it out. I usually include some of the rub I use on the meat to tie it together.
    Last edited by Doug Seward; 04-10-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo

I think that sauce is a crutch for inadequate meat.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

cream is a crutch for inadequate coffee but I still enjoy a latte!

I don't mind sauce on pulled pork, and my preference is similar to yours, but I really don't like sauce on ribs. I prefer a dry rub and a mop during the smoking, but no sauce at the end.....just a personal preference.

There are three Carolina sauces, east , west and mustard based.

-AJ

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    There are three Carolina sauces, east , west and mustard based.

-AJ
    yup, and the bbq from around Hickory is also different!

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I stand corrected. While vinegar based there is a touch of tomato product for flavoring. Having gone to school on the eastern side of the state I was taught that it was a sacrilege to use tomato products in your sauce.
    I thought Carolina's were known for there mustard Q ??