Forgot to introduce myself first

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larrin

Reaction score
I Posted before I started an introduction thread here. My name is Larrin, I'm graduating this May with a bachelors degree in Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Nevada-Reno and I've been accepted to Colorado School of Mines in Metallurgical Engineering in a PhD program in their steel research center. My father is Damascus steel and knife maker Devin Thomas.

Nice

Devin Thomas? Unfamiliar ;)

Nah welcome Larrin, youre knowledge is much valued here :)

Hey Larrin-pull up a stool at the counter over here! As long as you're here, here is a steel question for you! McMaster-Carr has 2 different quenching oils, one is called fast quench and one is called slow quench. Which one is best for O1 steel?

Glad to see you here. I can't wait for the epic steel debates!

The slow quench is probably sufficient for O1 because of its deep hardening, but the fast quench probably wouldn't give you any problems with knives, and could possibly get you a higher hardness.

Thanks, Larrin! I managed to spill about 3 quarts of oil today, so I think I will reorder some fast quench!

Latest posts

Back