US/Canadian Kamagata Usuba?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a US or Canadian made Kamagata Ususba out there? I really want to own one. I will probably go for a J one first, but just curious. Especially one made by a maker/vendor on KKF.

I'm not disrespecting the North American makers but I'll go out on a limb here and say that you won't get what you're looking for if you buy a usuba made outside of Japan. Hell even the cheaper ones from Japan can suck pretty bad so it's a buyer beware type of purchase to begin with and they know what they're doing.

The Cutco Kamagata Usuba is a good one. We've discussed its merits in another thread ;)
Soon enough, I'm sure one of our guys will knock one out that will impress, but until then, why not a great quality nakiri?

I have a Watanabe Usuba and i have studied it to make one. I think it will be a PITA to get it made right. It seems to be a touch different than a standard single bevel knife.

I'm not disrespecting the North American makers but I'll go out on a limb here and say that you won't get what you're looking for if you buy a usuba made outside of Japan. Hell even the cheaper ones from Japan can suck pretty bad so it's a buyer beware type of purchase to begin with and they know what they're doing.

Yep.

I am not sure I have seen any usuba (kamagata or otherwise) that have been made by a maker in North America. And it isn't a knife you want someone's first try at of. North American makers as a whole make so few single bevel knives, it just isn't their specialty. Like Mike said, there are nuances involved that come from experience, you should buy one from someone experienced in making them. A quality one from Japan is most likely going to be significantly less expensive that a N.A. made one and will in all certainty, work much better.

Did Murray Carter ever make one?

Not that I have seen, but perhaps. If you really really need a single bevel knife from North America, Murray is really the only experienced option. Won't be cheap though.

My thoughts exactly (for now).

Any ideas why nobody in North America seems to be able/willing/etc to make Yanagiba, Deba, and Usuba? If they do, they are like $3000 and about as nice functionally as the $300 ones from Japan...yet there are scores of Japanese making their living doing just that. What gives?

Thanks for the feedback guys,
I've really got my heart set on a 210 Suisin inox honyaki but the 5 bills it's gonna cost me are proving hard to cough(and save) up. I hope I have the discipline to hold out and not opt for a cheaper version.
Is the problem with North American makers that it's a single bevel? I saw that Stephan F. recently produced a batch of Honesuki's and claimed that he had a hard time keeping the single bevel blades from curving. Also that during the straightening process they were easily broken.
I really want to support our fair continent's(as well as the vendors/makers on KKF) economy, but I guess I'll have to do that via Jon @JKI for the Suisin. It sounds like I would probably have to pay a lot more for a North American version if it were available.

I don't see why America needs to make the kataba stuff, honestly. If you knew me, you'd probably be surprised to hear that. But it's one of those cultural things--they do it well, and deserve it.

I just don't understand why there isn't even ONE crazy American who is doing the Japanese thing.

have you used an usuba before? do you have a concrete use for one?

have you used an usuba before? do you have a concrete use for one?
OOOH Yes. Most definitely. I am really leaning toward the inox for the stainless properties as well. I've never had the Kamagata style. I used to think they looked a little goofy, but now I'm very enamored by the profile.

i wouldn't buy a stainless usuba, myself.
You might change your mind if you saw this one. If I don't go stainless, I'd save myself a couple hundred bucks. But in my work environment(to get the most out of it) I'm thinking that Inox is the way to go. I've seen one in action and it's badass.

I am mid process on setting up a big wheel grinder( 36 inch ) and also have 48 and 60 inch water cooled platens being made for my grinder. I will be in the near future making single bevel knives. I have several yanagi's and a few deba's profiled right now, and am waiting for my big wheel to be able to finish them. As far as the bending, they absolutely need to be HT'd BEFORE grinding and also need to be kept cool while grinding. I will probably add a temper cycle after they are ground to help relieve stresses in the blade after grinding. I am also surprised that really no NA maker makes single bevel stuff. It does take some specialized tool to do it, and those tools if bought are quite pricey. If you look into a water wheel at roughly 50-54 inches, they can quickly top $5k for the wheel alone....

i wouldn't buy a stainless usuba, myself.

What would be so wrong with a stainless usuba or any other single bevel for that matter?

Back