Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with a blow torch?

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    bruleeing scallops sounds good. I guess that salmon skins would also work. How about tuna tataki? Will that burn the spices? I wish I had a gas stove or a good grill (or an egg) to use it as a lighter... Does it also work to char the skins on bell peppers?

Stefan
    I imagine that it would burn the spices, but you should be able to adjust the flame so it's not as strong. But, if it's a smaller torch, I would imagine that it might not. I used my torch this past summer to make albacore tataki.

And yes, you can use to char peppers.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I've tried it with peppers...it works but you're involved the whole time. I'd rather put them on the gas flame and turn them from time to time while doing something else. Other than brulee, I use mine to occasionally char sashimi to change the texture a little. I use a Benzomatic from the hardware store.

I use a Mapp torch to light the BGE. And an oxy-acetylene to melt metal!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

If you ever decide to make your own ramen and chashu, slice the chashu and put the torch to it until it gets brown and toasty and serve it over the ramen

I use it to give all of my frozen desserts a quick lick - to make them shiny instead of frosty, and to soften compound butters.

I don't like charring protein with it, I think it can taste gassy.

Creme brulee?

I used to use my Iwatani a lot to roast green chilis back when I lived in an apartment with an electric range, now I mostly just use it to brown sous-vide'd proteins.

It's also good at cobweb duty if you are careful not to burn the wall, you gotta move fast.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Here is a roast I used a blow torch on for browning.

I have more pics and recipe here.

It was the 80's don't do that anymore. Very expensive.