Please spare me your petty advise !

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWhtrader

Reaction score
Yes, really !

I took the board's advise on getting a cheap petty/ paring knife and got a forschner. while its a great value, I just never have any fun with it. It just never quite get sharp enough and stay sharp long enough. So I usually end up deboning chickens with my gyuto and cutting/ peeling fruits.

My question is which petty should I be aiming for? I would prefer stainless steel since I can usually taste carbon steel when I cut fruits.

I am thinking 150mm Kono HD or Yoshikane SKD11 150mm .....

Thanks for your help in advance.

I have a Devin Thomas ITK 150mm petty in AEBL that is truly excellent. You can't always find one though.

If you want a nicer parer, i think Butch makes mean ones.

And if the Konosuke is on your list, then probably Gesshin Ginga should be there too. Jon has at least done an awesome job tweaking the geometry of their 210 suji/petty!

I recently picked up a zakari blue #1 petty 150mm from Jon. I like it alot. It has a thinker spine than the lasers but it's still thin behind the edge. Oh, and it's great for chickens.

I have a Konosuke White #2 petty and it is essentially a scalpel, so very thin and incredibly sharp. I don't trust myself to debone a chicken with it due to my lack of experience so I would go with something a bit beefier such as the Zakuri mentioned above from Jon. However, if you are adept at breaking down chickens then the Konosuke or Geshin Ginga's would be a nice option. Go for the carbon though, they are so much more fun!

Go custom...check with del ealy...I like the looks of his

I've used some super thin petties. The are great cutters but I have to say I prefer a little more meat on them. I tend to reach for my Masahiro MVH 150 from KnifeMerchant. My wife's favorite knife to use is a 150 Heiji semi-stainless petty. I like it quite a bit, as well and the edge it takes is probably my favorite among the stainless/semistainless available.

Just don't confuse a petty and a parer. Trying to get both in one is a mistake. You will wind up with a too short petty that you won't like. Go no less than 150mm, I would actually recommend 180mm. Save the cheep purchase for the parer, unless you do in hand knife work frequently...

I have a gesshin ginga 120mm that I love but it is super thin (like the Kono knives). I would definitely use something a little more robust to break down chickens. The Zakuri 210mm that I just got is a nice stouter knife and I would think the 150mm or a 180mm (if they make one) would be perfect for de-boning. Not stainless but in AS would not take much to not have to worry about it.

I've only tried a few pettys, but I really liked my Yoshikane 150. I thinned it a little bit and it was an awesome petty IMO. Thin but not wimpy thin and it just fell through everything. I'm only going on memory and not direct comparisons, but I think I'd prefer the profile and cutting performance of a Yoshikane 150 like the one I had to the 150 Heiji petty I tried.

The only reason I sold it is that I don't like smaller pettys. Like No Chop said, I'd rather have a bigger petty and a parer/peeler than a smaller petty. I might actually have to get myself another Yoshikane petty...hmm...

Edit: I gotta add that the profile of my Yoshi petty was a bit different from the one on Maksim's site. The tip was less bull-nosed and more streamlined. I'm not sure how big a performance difference that would make, though.

Which Yoshikane is it you have? Link, please. :knife:

Which Yoshikane is it you have? Link, please. :knife:

Had :(
My first J-knife. I still miss it when I think about it. Just wish it was 180 or 210 so that it would be a little more useful for me. I don't need a petty any smaller than those numbers since I have two paring knives already.

It was a good cutter when I first got it. After I thinned it, though, it was just so sweet. Effortless through almost everything (obviously that tiny knife couldn't handle a giant butternut squash that well) and very little food sticking.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...th-upgraded-handle?highlight=yoshikane+150+85

Had :(
My first J-knife. I still miss it when I think about it. Just wish it was 180 or 210 so that it would be a little more useful for me. I don't need a petty any smaller than those numbers since I have two paring knives already.

It was a good cutter when I first got it. After I thinned it, though, it was just so sweet. Effortless through almost everything (obviously that tiny knife couldn't handle a giant butternut squash that well) and very little food sticking.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...th-upgraded-handle?highlight=yoshikane+150+85

Oh, yeah. I remember that. I almost bought it from you. I probably should have, seeing that I've been thinking about it all day. Where'd you get it?

Oh, yeah. I remember that. I almost bought it from you. I probably should have, seeing that I've been thinking about it all day. Where'd you get it?

Hide. Don't know where he is now, though.

Maksim sells some now. I wonder if he could get slightly larger sizes as well. If he could, I'd definitely consider picking one up for myself and would also suggest it to the OP as an option.

A Tanaka is the obvious choice. Get them while there are still some! I love mine with the ironwood handle and cool pattern blade.

Thanks everyone for the choices. I think No Chop is right. I probably need 2 knives I do like the 180 length.

too bad tanakas are about double my budget.

I also second (or is it third?) the two knife idea.

I have a carboNext 12mm petty and a moritaka 150mm. The carboNext I really like. It's a great size (use for paring), sharpens is nice and it holds it for pretty nicely as well. And it was cheap enough to where I don't worry about beating it up a bit. Now the moritaka...overall it's a great little knife (no grind issues like most have had), but the 150mm size is very awkward in a pro kitchen. I also find myself reaching for my 120 or my 240 IT suji. Im going to pick up a 180 in the near future

The ino looks a taller than normal for a petty. Which I like. Sometimes when I place my thumb on the choil of my petty I have to be careful not to let the edge touch it. Thumb clearance?

Sometimes when I place my thumb on the choil of my petty I have to be careful not to let the edge touch it. Thumb clearance?

What kind of grip are you using? I can't think of any grip in which one's thumb would be on the choil.

Latest posts

Back